This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2403 / 51°14'24"N
Longitude: 0.385 / 0°23'6"E
OS Eastings: 566581
OS Northings: 151711
OS Grid: TQ665517
Mapcode National: GBR NQ3.25D
Mapcode Global: VHJMJ.M3D1
Plus Code: 9F3269RP+42
Entry Name: Roydon Hall
Listing Date: 1 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178831
Location: East Peckham, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN12
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: East Peckham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: East Peckham
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 65 SE EAST PECKHAM ROYDON HALL ROAD (east
2/58 Roydon Hall
Country House.Built, according to inscription over entrance doorway, in 1535. Completely
sashed c.1680. Heavily remodelled, especially east and south fronts c.1870
by Habershon. Red brick with some stone dressings, slate roofs. North
(entrance) front: 2 storeys with crow-stepped gables to right, added in C19
remodelling. 2 large chimney-breasts to right with stove-topped brick stacks.
Irregular fenestration of C19 casements in transom and mullion surrounds.
Semi-basement block with area to right. 2½ storey porch slightly off-centre
to left. Stone on ground floor with round-headed arch flanked by Tuscan half-
columns on high basts carrying an entablature. Dateable to c.1600 by strapwork
decoration. Transom and mullion windows on both floors above. Entrance range
in front of north facade forming small square court. Low, three-dimensional
four-centred arch in centre, framed each side by a triangular and polygonal
projection, where rooms had once been, with octagonal turrets at each, joined
to the house by two eight foot high walls. East front: Almost wholly Victorian.
2 Victorian dormers. 2 storeys. Chimney breast to left with inset ground
floor window and central 2-storey canted bay. South front: 2 storeys, irregu-
lar fenestration of c.1870 multi-light transom and mullion windows. 3 gables
to left, 2-storey canted bay to right. Victorian porch offset to right of
centre, with neo-Perpendicular pointed arch window with tracery over. West
front: Retains original character to greater extent. Brick laid in English
bond.. 2 storeys, rising to 3 with 3 c.1870 crow-stepped gables. String-
course below gables on moulded brick corbel - table of trefoil arches. 2 sheer
chimney breasts, cutting up through gables, with original stove-topped stacks.
Interior: South East Room. Jacobean panelling. South Room: Chapel screen,
6 lights and central door (not original). Heavily moulded door surround.
North east room. Walnut panelling, c.1680. Blue Room: Lavish C19 rococo revi-
val decoration, including cornice and ceiling, pier-glasses, overdoor, bressum-
mer to bay window and chimney-piece. Original central courtyard roofed and
top-lit to form main staircase, c.1870. Most of the rooms have c.1870 neo-
Jacobean plaster ceilings. See Country Life, LXXXVII, 198.
Listing NGR: TQ6658151711
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings