History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Red Lion

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wingham, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2715 / 51°16'17"N

Longitude: 1.2145 / 1°12'52"E

OS Eastings: 624315

OS Northings: 157394

OS Grid: TR243573

Mapcode National: GBR VZS.7VG

Mapcode Global: VHLGQ.09DL

Entry Name: The Red Lion

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 178369

Location: Wingham, Dover, Kent, CT3

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: Wingham

Built-Up Area: Wingham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Wingham

Listing Text

TR 2457 WINGHAM CANTERBURY ROAD
(south side)

9/337 The Red Lion
13.10.52

GV II*

Public House. Circa 1400 extended C15, C16 and late C19. Timber framed and
rendered with plain tiled roof, with C19 rear wing of red brick and tile
hung. Two storeys on plinth with jetty to left, returned to left elevation
on dragon post. Moulded bressumer to right and eaves coved to hipped roof
with stack to end right and offset. Central hipped 2 storey porch on
moulded brackets with 4 light mullioned window and 3 and 4 light mullioned
windows on either side on each floor. Central rib and stud door with four
centred arched and moulded surround at head of flight of 5 steps with simple
iron rails and acorn finials. Left return; continuous jetty on brackets with
irregular fenestration of glazing bar sashes and mullioned windows and C19
end wing with 3 half dormers. Interior; evidence of at least 4 periods of
building. Brick lined undercroft survives, possibly from late C13 with remains
of C14 open hall over it, with 9 feet long unmoulded crown post roof and
inserted C16 floor with moulded joists. Main body late C15/C16 continuous
jettied range with moulded octagonal crown posts and 2 internal medieval
doors and evidence of smoke bay. Moulded four centred arched stone fireplace
in the 'Sessions Room'. Finally the C19 stable wing to rear. Early C18
open well staircase with turned balusters. The Inn stands on the site and may
incorporate part of Wingham College, and was at some stage the market house,
the manor court house and the Sessions House until 1883, and preserved inside
is an early C18 sessions book.


Listing NGR: TR2430657394

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.