This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4284 / 51°25'42"N
Longitude: -2.1303 / 2°7'49"W
OS Eastings: 391037
OS Northings: 169944
OS Grid: ST910699
Mapcode National: GBR 1RK.G6L
Mapcode Global: VH96K.1C49
Plus Code: 9C3VCVH9+9V
Entry Name: Notton House
Listing Date: 19 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363908
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315575
Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Lacock
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 96 NW
3/139 Notton House
Country house, now school, c1750 refronted and extended c1830-40.
Squared rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Low pitched slate
roofs and ashlar stacks. Three-storey, 3-window centre, probably
c1750 and refronted c1830-40 when 2-storey, one-window pavilions
were added connected by narrow 2-storey one-window links. Centre
has flush quoins, first floor band, moulded cornice, parapet and 2
front-wall stacks. Nine-pane attic windows in eared architraves,
16-pane windows elsewhere in unmoulded surrounds, the upper windows
with heavily detailed cornices on consoles and balconies to the
outer windows carried on heavy scrolled brackets that frame window
heads below. Centre door in ashlar open porch with paired columns
of unusual unfluted Greek Doric with entablature and balustrade
over. Plaster vaulting within porch. Narrow links have ground
floor full-width tripartite segment-headed windows and 12-pane
segment-headed sashes above. End pavilions have similar detail to
outer bays of centre block, 16-pane sash each floor, cornice and
parapet. Plain 3-window south side to left pavilion. To rear of
centre and right pavilion is mid C18 six-window front with raised
ashlar dressings, small cornice and ashlar parapet. Twelve-pane
windows to main floors, 6-pane to attic. Third bay is slightly
advanced with raised quoins, applied pediment in parapet, door set
to right in moulded surround with hood on brackets, arched-head
stair light over and 12-pane upper window. All windows have
unusual small keystones. From north west angle projects a c1900
three-bay Roman Doric columned orangery with lean-to hipped roof
against a coped screen wall. Behind screen wall is projecting
gabled 'chapel' of rubble stone with C15 or C16 canopied niche over
carved Baynard family arms in gable and C18 Gothic 2-light pointed
first floor window. Octagonal timber cupola at west end of ridge.
North side chimney gable. Building may be of ancient date or may
incorporate stonework from Lackham House, demolished 1791.
Interior: some fielded panelling in front hall and upstairs centre
rooms. Two mid C18 bolection fireplaces upstairs and mid C18
stair with turned balusters and panelled dado. Regency-style
plasterwork to stair-hall in link to south pavilion and door and
window furniture in both floors of pavilion.
Owned by Awdry family from 1766 when John Awdry purchased it from
Edward Montagu, who refers in a letter (W.R.O. 109/511) to having
occupied the house for 24 years. Sir J. W. Awdry (1795-1878) was
Chief Justice of Bombay.
Listing NGR: ST9103769944
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings