This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4104 / 51°24'37"N
Longitude: -2.0911 / 2°5'28"W
OS Eastings: 393758
OS Northings: 167932
OS Grid: ST937679
Mapcode National: GBR 2T4.D53
Mapcode Global: VH96K.PTW5
Entry Name: Church of St Anne
Listing Date: 7 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315452
Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Lacock
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
LACOCK BOWDEN HILL
ST 96 NW
3/19 Church of St Anne
Anglican parish church, 1856-7 by S.B. Gabriel of Bristol for Capt
J.N. Gladstone of Bowden Park. Squared ironstone rubble with
ashlar dressings, stone slate roofs and coped gables. Nave,
chancel and north porch in Early English style with Romanesque
style north east tower, gabled with shingled pyramid roof. Three-
window nave with flat buttresses, heavy string course, moulded
eaves and 2-light plate-traceried windows. North porch has
battered plinth flush on west side with west wall. West window of
2-light centre with single lights each side flanked by blank
windows, to give row of seven pointed arches, taller in centre.
Shafting between arches is missing. Gable vesica. Chancel has
heavy corbel table, 3 lancets to south, one to north, clasping flat
buttresses and east end 3 pointed lights in 5-arch arcade. Foiled
circle in gable. Three-stage north east tower with clasping flat
buttresses to bottom stage, ashlar coping between stages, second
stage with recessed walling, corbel table and small arched light
each side. The gabled top stage is heavily ornate with 3 stepped
lights each side, the shafting missing and Evangelist symbols as
gargoyles at each corner. Coped gables.
Interior is ashlar lined with much finely lettered inscription.
Nave has good windbraced 6-bay roof, moulded chancel arch with leaf
capitals, stone pulpit and font. Chancel has 3-bay roof with thin
windbracing, encaustic tile floor, alabaster reredos over marble
dado, Purbeck shafting to windows and moulded north arch to vestry.
East window glass signed Warrington 1857. North wall brass to Mrs
Gladstone (d 1862). Two nave stained glass windows of c1863 to
Captain and Mrs Gladstone, west window of 1887. Various brass
plaques on south wall to Merewether family of Bowden Hill House.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 120)
Listing NGR: ST9375867932
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings