This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3607 / 51°21'38"N
Longitude: -2.268 / 2°16'4"W
OS Eastings: 381438
OS Northings: 162438
OS Grid: ST814624
Mapcode National: GBR 0QT.PFF
Mapcode Global: VH96V.M2W6
Plus Code: 9C3V9P6J+7R
Entry Name: Little Ashley Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364069
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314737
Location: Winsley, Wiltshire, BA15
Civil Parish: Winsley
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Winsley St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 86 SW WINSLEY ASHLEY
4/289 Little Ashley Farmhouse
Farmhouse, C17 altered, rubble stone with hipped slate roof and one
small ridge stack to right. Two storeys and attic, one small
dormer to front. Front range has 12-pane sashes, two window-range
each side of centre, the sashes apparently replacing late C17 cyma-
moulded recessed stone cross windows. Projecting centre gabled
porch bay with 6-pane window above under hoodmould and studded
plank door below in moulded flush frame with dripcourse over,
stepped over centre small blank plaque. Dripcourse is continued
around left side wall and was over at least one ground floor window
to left, but has been cut back. Ground floor to right has been
altered for early C20 ashlar canted bay attached to porch side.
Window to right has pair of sashes in C18 raised moulded surrounds.
East side wall has one 2-light mullion window with hoodmould. Rear
left side projects with large dormer gable to left and gabled
stair-tower to right. Dormer gable has single-light above and 2-
light with hoodmould below, stair tower has single light with
hoodmould in gable and 2-light with hoodmould at half level. North
west angle of stair tower has various wall recesses. Recessed
section to right has C20 openings to ground floor, then a former
dairy and cheese-room wing, altered in C20 conversion, runs north.
Interior: heavily altered c1970 when ground floor was opened up by
removal of two large chimneys, one replaced on smaller scale, but
original chamfered beams with stepped run-out stops survive on both
floors and chamfered joists. Stair tower has winding stair with
solid oak treads. Roof has two trusses surviving, tie-beam and
collar, possibly C18.
House is recorded in 1665 as a tenement belonging to Tidcombe
family of Little Ashley House, sold 1683 and subsequently, before
being bought 1705 by E. Bailey of Bradford from whom it passed to
the Fisher family who held it until mid C19. Evidence would appear
to suggest a house mostly of late C17 with roof altered later, but
quite possibly there is a core of C16 or early C17 date.
Listing NGR: ST8143862438
Other nearby listed buildings