This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3418 / 51°20'30"N
Longitude: -2.312 / 2°18'43"W
OS Eastings: 378361
OS Northings: 160343
OS Grid: ST783603
Mapcode National: GBR 0QY.Y07
Mapcode Global: VH96T.WJ2R
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 November 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364104
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314534
Location: Limpley Stoke, Wiltshire, BA2
Civil Parish: Limpley Stoke
Built-Up Area: Limpley Stoke
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
ST 76 SE LIMPLEY STOKE CHURCH LANE
( south side) )
3/86 Church of St Mary
GV II *
Anglican parish church. C10, early C13, C15, restored and south
aisle added c1920 by Sir Charles Nicholson. Dressed limestone,
rendered rubble stone nave, stone slate roof with coped verges.
Plan: west tower with spire, nave with south aisle, and east
bellcote, north porch, chancel with south vestry. C13 gabled
porch with moulded round arch on triple shafts with moulded
capitals, hoodmould. Nave has two 2-light mullioned window with
round arched lights and hoodmould, probably C17, wall tablet with
scrolled pediment to right, gabled bellcote with round-arched
openings. Chancel with C19 cusped lancet and blocked square-headed
lancet, 3-light Perpendicular east window with hoodmould, south
side has C19 cusped lancet. Early C20 south aisle has reset 3-
light square-headed Perpendicular east window, 3-light and two 2-
light south windows, roof pitch interrupted for 3-light C16
mullioned window with arched lights in south wall of nave. Vestry
to left probably late C19 with 2-light C14-style window. Two-stage
west tower with string courses, unbuttressed, chamfered arrowloops
on west side, bellstage has pair of arrowloops with pierced stone
louvres on north, west and east sides, recessed octagonal spire
with roll-moulded ribs and bands, the lower brattished, moulded
Interior: Porch has fixed stone benches, restored depressed Tudor-
arch with restored ledged and ribbed door, 1960s niche over with
statue of The Virgin and Child. Three-bay nave with late C19 deep
arched-braced collar truss roof, on stone corbels. West gallery
for organ with reset C17 panels with lozenges and arches on front.
South arcade incorporates fine Saxon arch with moulded imposts,
formerly the south door, flanked by two double chamfered early C20
arches to west and one deep chamfered pointed arch to east, lean-to
roof on stone corbels. Plastered double chamfered pointed chancel
arch, chancel roof with braced collar rafters, C19. Plain
chamfered pointed piscina on south wall, C19 reredos, communion
rail and communion table. Other fittings: Nave has fine C15 stone
pulpit with cusped panels and stone steps, set into segmental-
pointed recess in north wall. C18 pedestal font in south aisle.
1771 Royal Arms of George III, over north door. Stained glass
includes south east window in memory of Francis Kerr died 1932,
signed by A.K. Nicholson of London. Monuments: In the chancel;
oval black and white marble to John Morgan died 1786, early C19
grey marble tablet with four inscription panels to Fisher family,
by Reeves of Bath. In the nave; two white marble tablets to
Susanna Cooper died 1720 and Ann Dike died 1776, C19 marble to
Fisher family by Sheppard of Bath.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Church
Listing NGR: ST7836160343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings