This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1752 / 51°10'30"N
Longitude: -2.0909 / 2°5'27"W
OS Eastings: 393740
OS Northings: 141776
OS Grid: ST937417
Mapcode National: GBR 2X1.65T
Mapcode Global: VH97Q.PQZG
Plus Code: 9C3V5WG5+3J
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313560
Location: Knook, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Knook
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Heytesbury with Tytherington and Knook St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 94 SW,
KNOOK VILLAGE (south side),
The Manor House
Detached house. C16, altered early C17. Dressed limestone, tiled roof with coped verges and stone stacks with moulded cappings. L-plan, hall range has lateral stack to rear. Two-storey, 3-window front. Two-storey gabled porch to centre with Tudor-arched openings, 2-light mullioned casement to first floor and 1637 date stone, 3-light and 2-light mullioned casements to left and 4-light to right, first floor has 4-light recessed chamfered mullioned casement with hoodmould either side of porch. First floor has two 4-light mullioned casements with hoodmoulds. Wing projecting to right has buttresses with offsets, 2-light mullioned casements to left side, external stack and 2-light and 3-light mullioned casements to gable end, right return has 2-light and 3-light mullioned casements with hoodmoulds, C20 conservatory, 3-light mullioned casement to centre, lighting stairs, buttresses up to eaves, first floor with three 2-light mullioned casements. Rear of main range has large lateral stack to left, glazed C20 door, 3-light and 4-light mullioned casement to ground floor, 3-light mullioned casements to first floor, all with hoodmoulds. Rear gable end of wing has 4-light mullioned casements. Left return with attached single-storey addition, 2-light ovolo-mullioned first floor casement.
INTERIOR: main room has inserted Italian stone C16 fireplace, room
to left has open fireplace with raised cambered lintel on stone
jambs. C17 wing has Tudor-arched stone fireplaces to ground and
first floors, ovolo-moulded door case with stops between wing and
main range, 8-panelled wainscot doors; some are early C20 copies.
Stairs in wing with ovolo-moulded newels, missing balusters.
Restored by Crichton-Maitland family in 1920s.
Listing NGR: ST9374041776
Other nearby listed buildings