This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3464 / 51°20'47"N
Longitude: -2.2552 / 2°15'18"W
OS Eastings: 382320
OS Northings: 160845
OS Grid: ST823608
Mapcode National: GBR 1SC.DNJ
Mapcode Global: VH96V.VFM6
Plus Code: 9C3V8PWV+HW
Entry Name: The Chantry and Little Chantry
Listing Date: 18 April 1952
Last Amended: 23 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312480
Location: Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15
Civil Parish: Bradford-on-Avon
Built-Up Area: Bradford on Avon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bradford-on-Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1. BARTON ORCHARD
5411 (South Side)
The Chantry and Little
Chantry. (Formerly listed
as The Chantry)
ST 8260 2/25 18.4.52.
Of immense townscape value as a focal point at the west end of Church Street.
C16, C17 and C18. The nucleus of the house was built in 1546-48 by Thomas
Horton de Iford, but external evidence of this date is confined to portions
of the north elevation. West elevation: C17, ashlar, stone-tiled roof,
3 storeys, 7 windows. Moulded cornice and plain parapet. Facade is in
3 units, the centre portion breaking forward slightly with plain strings
at sill levels and moulded strings at window heads. This portion is 3-windowed:
2nd floor casements with glazing bars, 1st floor centre window over door
has semi-circular head with keystone, side windows (blocked) in plain reveals:
ground floor with 1 window each side of door, fixed-light in plain reveals,
glazing bars. Central door has square-head and stone surround of Tuscan
half-columns with entablature and segmetal pediment. Side units have
2 windows on each floor; 2nd floor 2-light casements with stone mullions
and architrave surrounds; first floor, 2-light, architrave surrounds, stone
mullions and transom, flat cornice over; ground floor windows similar but
no transom. There is a later extension to the right-hand unit which now
blocks ground floor windows and 1 window on lst floor. In front of this
elevation is small paved sunken forecourt with steps up to drive. Top
of steps flanked by stone urns with pineapples (now removed). Wrought-iron
gates at drive entrance. South Elevation: C18, ashlar, 3 storeys and
basement. 7 windows, double hung sashes, glazing bars. Angular bay to
left of frontage rising through all storeys, 1 window in each face. Moulded
cornice and plain parapet (except over bay, where it has balusters). Moulded
strings at 1st and 2nd floor levels of bay. Windows along main frontage
have architrave surrounds and flat cornices. Cambered head doorway to
right with surround and keystone flat wooden hood on wrought-iron brackets.
A 2 storey wing extension on the extreme right has its upper floor set
back on a balustered balcony. Its ground floor has 2 tall, semi-circular-headed
sash windows with glazing bars, architrave surrounds, keystones and imposts.
East Elevation: C18, 2 storeys, 5 windows, sashes glazing bars, architrave
surrounds and moulded sills. Moulded string at lst floor level. Moulded
cornice on consoles, central pediment, oval panel with rose motif in tympanum.
North elevation: Asymmetrical with some original C16. features surviving.
No 7, Nos 9 to 19 (consec), the Chantry and Little Chantry form a group
with all the listed buildings in Church Street. The Catholic Church of
St Thomas More, Market Street and Nos 5 and 6 and 27 to 31 (consec) and
Wall at Builders Yard, Newtown.
Listing NGR: ST8231060843
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings