This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3572 / 51°21'26"N
Longitude: -1.8467 / 1°50'48"W
OS Eastings: 410769
OS Northings: 162028
OS Grid: SU107620
Mapcode National: GBR 3WC.V84
Mapcode Global: VHB4J.Y42W
Plus Code: 9C3W9543+V8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364707
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311635
Location: Alton, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Alton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
ALTON ALTON BARNES
SU 16 SW
5/2 Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. C10-C11, C14 and 1748. Altered 1832 and
restored 1875 and 1904 by C.E. Ponting. Limestone structural work
with malmstone infilling, mostly pebbledashed. Stone slate roof.
Simple 2-cell plan of nave and chancel. C14 south door, the north
doorway blocked and glazed. Nave of late Saxon work with pilaster
strips dividing wall into 4 bays, and gable to 2 bays, the strips
rebated for rendering. Flush quoins, large and partly side
alternate. The east and west gables raised and coped and have
terminal crosses. In the gables paired rectangular openings for
bells. Three light west window with reserved chamfered mullions.
Scratch sundial on south-east quoins. Chancel rebuilt for Nicholas
Preston in 1748. Diaper brickwork on rubble stone sills and ashlar
quoins and corbel table. Two light ogee square headed windows,
probably reused. Blocked keyed oculus in east gable.
Interior: Intimate. Nave of 2 bays with C18 panelled west gallery
on one column and rear stair. Roof of quasi-raised crucks with
threaded purlins and square set ridge. Long curved arch braces to
purlins. Chamfered tie beams. Rafters and ashlars exposed.
Early-mid C18 dado panelling. Chancel arch altered 1832 replacing
Saxon original on Cll-C12 moulded imposts. Chancel has coved
ceiling. Fittings: Font, clE, inelegant stone basin on baluster
stem. Pulpit also. C18, raised and panelled. Steps enclosed in re-
used late C17-early C18 panelling which also encloses reader's pew.
Pews oak, C19. Simple C18 choir seats. Glass: In north chancel
window, arms and inscription of 1737 to W. Lamplugh, rector.
Monuments: Many wall memorials. In chancel, north side, marble
slab of 1652 to Warner South, rector, with Latin inscription; and
6 others of early C19 in simple Classical style: Theresa Brereton,
died 1835, by the Patent Works, Westminster and memorials of the
Crowe family, distinguished in the diplomatic field. In the nave,
10 wall tablets, including a limestone pedimented aedicule to
Thomas Chandler, died 1790. Four brasses, one in chancel to
William Budd, rector, died 1685. On west front of church two oval
tablets with crest, illegible and one now missing. Furniture:
Chancel has C17 oak chair with carved back, and a 3-legged serving
table with ball and claw feet.
(N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, p87; Combined
churches guide, 1970; Taylor & Taylor, j Saxon Architecture,
Vols 1 to 3; W.A.M, 68 - 1973 and 77 - 1982)
Listing NGR: SU1076762028
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings