This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.358 / 51°21'28"N
Longitude: -1.8446 / 1°50'40"W
OS Eastings: 410919
OS Northings: 162117
OS Grid: SU109621
Mapcode National: GBR 3WC.VW7
Mapcode Global: VHB4J.Z468
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364710
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311642
Location: Alton, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Alton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
ALTON ALTON PRIORS
SU 16 SW
5/9 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church, now with the Redundant Churches Fund. C12,
C14, C15 and C18. Limestone and malmstone rubble, ashlar to tower
and chancel of brick. Lead and slate roofs. Nave with the west
tower and C18 chancel set asymmetrically replacing medieval chancel
in same position. Entrance under tower, the two side doors
blocked. Two-light ogee square-headed windows to nave. West tower
of 2 stages; angle buttresses and 3-light C15 west window with 2-
light bell openings, all with deep casement mouldings. Chancel has
low pitched roof-and 2-light windows.
Interior: Tower arch tall and panelled, with C20 screen to nave.
Nave wide, an aisle arcade probably removed. Three bays low
pitched roof. Door to rood screen and small piscina. Cl2 chancel
arch with beaded moulded imposts. Chancel of 3 bays with step to
sanctuary and late C17 turned oak baluster rails. Font: C19.
Limestone. Octagonal. C17 carved frontals to choir seating.
Monuments: In sanctuary, chest tomb against north wall, 1590,
limestone. Chest with frieze of plain shields. Raised aedicule
over, with grey marble columns and flat pediment carrying crest in
a roundel. In the centre an elaborate brass to Sir William Button,
showing him rising from his coffin and gazing at the opening gates
of heaven. Inscriptions. Also a floor brass of 1528. On the
south wall, a white marble tablet of 1769 with a small crest, to
Elizabeth Burroughs. Two C20 tablets in nave. Furniture: In
sanctuary, C17 chair and early C18 altar table.
(N. Pevsner, Buildings of Engand, Wiltshire, p88; Combined
churches guide of 1970)
Listing NGR: SU1091962117
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings