This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1372 / 52°8'14"N
Longitude: -1.5646 / 1°33'52"W
OS Eastings: 429897
OS Northings: 248861
OS Grid: SP298488
Mapcode National: GBR 5NX.THB
Mapcode Global: VHBY8.TJQY
Plus Code: 9C4W4CPP+V5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364769
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307289
Location: Pillerton Hersey, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Pillerton Hersey
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Pillerton Hersey with Pillerton Priors
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Tagged with: Church building
SP 2948; 11/50
Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Church. Mid C13 and C15. C19 additions and restoration. Squared, coursed
limestone and ironstone dressings, and ironstone top stages of tower. Tile roof
with stone coped gable to chancel and to C19 north aisle. Chancel, aisled nave
and west tower.
Chancel of two bays, with plinth, offset angle buttresses, string
course below windows and coped parapet. C19 vestry attached to north. To east a
mid C13 triple-lancet window, the central lancet wider than those to either
side. Chamfered and hollow chamfered surrounds. Plate tracery with quatrefoil
piercing above central lancet. To either side of window a shaft with blank
pointed arch. To south a C19 plank door. Its surround has shafts at angles with
two more to either side. Many-moulded arch and hood mould with stiff-leaf label
stops. Immediately to left a small lancet with blank pointed arch and moulded
surround. Pointed lancets, two to south and three to north, have double chamfered
surrounds and hood moulds. C19 vestry in Early English style with diagonal
buttresses and 2-lancet window with plate tracery. Nave of three bays. South aisle
c.1400, rebuilt C19, of two bays with offset buttresses, plinth and coped parapet.
To left a plank door with many-moulded surround and pointed arch. To right, and
to east and west ends a C19 three-light window in the Perpendicular style with
hood moulds and label stops. North aisle of three bays is dated 1845 and has plinth,
buttresses and coped parapet. String course below windows. Three Early English style
lancets with chamfered surrounds. 3-lancet window to east, and 2-lancet window
to west. All windows have hood moulds and label stops. Tower of three stages with
offset diagonal buttresses, plinth, string coursed and battlemented parapet with
finials to corners. C13, altered and heightened C15. To west a plank door within
many moulded, pointed arch, hood mould and label stops. C15 two-light window
above with cusped lights, chamfered surround and hood mould with label stops.
Small stair turret light to south, with chamfered surround. To south of second
stage a pointed light with chamfered surround and hood mould. One-handed clock
above. Bell chamber stage has C15 two-light windows, that to west renewed.
Chamfered surrounds, slate louvres, hood moulds and label stops. Incised in
walls of church are simple sundials.
INTERIOR: east window lancets have shafted
surrounds, with stiff-leaf capitals, the whole window with double shafted
surround. Window surrounds are moulded at angles. String course below. C13
double piscina with central shaft. C13 chancel arch piers are flanked by smaller
shafts. Double hollow chamfered pointed arch with hood mould. South nave arcade
of two bays, rebuilt C19. C19 north arcade of three bays in Early English style.
Chancel arch with chamfered piers, capitals and arch. Chamfered surround.
Chancel has hammer-beam roof, C16 or C17. Low-pitched C15 nave roof with
arch-braced trusses, the tie beams, purlins and principal rafters moulded. Many
carved bosses. Moulded stone corbels. C19 aisle roofs, that to north imitating
East window has green-tinted glass. Reset roundel in south aisle is
dated 1514. Coat of arms of George III painted on south aisle wall. C18 chamber
organ with pilasters and pediment. C18 and C19 memorials in porch walls.
Medieval chest in porch. C17 bells. C19 and C20 fittings, including carved altar
rails, reading desk and reredos. Thin-shafted font cover by Canon Staley, and
presented in 1927,
Listing NGR: SP2989748861
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings