This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2798 / 52°16'47"N
Longitude: -1.5906 / 1°35'26"W
OS Eastings: 428027
OS Northings: 264706
OS Grid: SP280647
Mapcode National: GBR 5MB.0P2
Mapcode Global: VHBXH.CYZP
Plus Code: 9C4W7CH5+WQ
Entry Name: St James Chapel west Gate
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Last Amended: 19 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364802
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307354
Location: Warwick, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34
Civil Parish: Warwick
Built-Up Area: Warwick
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Warwick St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
1781 West Gate and
St James's Chapel
SP 2864 NW 1/293 10.1.53.
Late C14, perhaps incorporating earlier structure and on the site of a
gate extant from at least 1129. Extended west and west tower added early
C15. A part of the medieval town defences. Ground floor has pointed arches
either end of ribbed vault. First floor chapel extensively restored 1863-5
by G G Scott who redesigned the windows, rebuilt parapet walks, added flying
buttresses and refurnished the interior.
VCH, viii, pp.420, 532.
West Gate and St James's Chapel, Nos 1 and lA Brook Street, the Hospital
of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester and Nos 54 and 56 in High Street
(north side) from a group
Listing NGR: SP2802764707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings