This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6535 / 52°39'12"N
Longitude: -1.5642 / 1°33'51"W
OS Eastings: 429579
OS Northings: 306282
OS Grid: SK295062
Mapcode National: GBR 5GQ.MC7
Mapcode Global: WHCGZ.YKBM
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 22 July 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 309236
Location: Austrey, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, CV9
District: North Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Austrey
Built-Up Area: Austrey
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: North Warwickshire All Souls
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
AUSTREY CHURCH LANE
SK2ONE (North Side)
Church. Early C14 but with late C13 tower. Restored, chancel refaced and porch
rebuilt 1844-45 by Ewan Christian. Grey sandstone ashlar. Slate roofs have
moulded coped gable parapets with trefoiled gablet kneelers. Aisled nave,
chancel; west tower, south porch. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Splay and moulded
plinths, buttresses of 2 offsets and moulded sill courses throughout. Chancel
has angle and central buttresses. 4-light east window and 2-light side windows
have geometrical tracery of 1844-45. Host openings throughout have hood moulds,
mainly with return stops. Eastern windows are shorter than the western. North
side has [it flue on moulded corbel just below the string course, with gablet
and trefoil vents. Moulded south doorway with studded door. Nave has 4-bay
clerestory with cusped Y-tracery. Lean-to aisles have angle and side buttresses
with gablet and offset, 3-light east windows have cusped intersecting tracery
with 3. moulded orders with outer shafts and inner triple shafts, and hood mould.
2-bay arched brace roof, Doorway inside of 3 continuous moulded orders with hood
mould and studded door. North and south windows of 3 stepped cusped lancets with
pierced spandrels. Blocked north doorway of 2 moulded orders. Blocked west
windows. Tower of 2 stages has double splay plinth and splay course. Massive
north-east, south-east and western angle buttresses of 3 offsets with goblets.
Moulded west doorway with studded door. Second stage has small lancet. Bell
chamber has 2-light openings with geometrical tracery and hood mould with head
slaps. Frieze of trefoiled arches with heads between. Broach spire has 2 tiers
of lucarnes. Finial with weathervane. North side is similar, but has no lancet.
South side has moulded lancet to first stage. Second stage has window below bell
chamber with similar tracery, but with moulded octagonal shafts above and below
a central transom; the lower shaft has been removed. Clock face below bell
chamber opening. Interior has whitewashed chancel and plastered nave and aisles.
Chancel has iii arched brace roof. Tall chancel arch and 4-bay arcades of 3
chamfered and moulded orders, and piers of quatrefoil section with very thin
shafts and octagonal bases, and hood moulds. Tower arch of 2 segmental pointed
outer arches and inner arch, with head corbel 5. Nave has Cl9 cusped king post
roof with arched braces to tie beams. South aisle has piscina. Fittings are
>ins+ly of 1844-45. Reredos has texts in gabled panels. Octagonal pulpit. Wall
monument: north aisle north wall; John, Thomas and Herbert Monck, erected 1706,
Double break-front form with open segmental pediment and winged head, cartouche
and flaming urns, marble panel and predella with winged skull.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p79; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol lV, pp10-12)
Listing NGR: SK2957906282
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings