History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parsonage Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Newchurch, Isle of Wight

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.6694 / 50°40'9"N

Longitude: -1.2079 / 1°12'28"W

OS Eastings: 456073

OS Northings: 85821

OS Grid: SZ560858

Mapcode National: GBR 9D5.TPM

Mapcode Global: FRA 87C9.M81

Plus Code: 9C2WMQ9R+PR

Entry Name: Parsonage Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 February 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365349

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310198

Location: Newchurch, Isle of Wight, PO36

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Newchurch

Built-Up Area: Newchurch

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Newchurch All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in


1352-0/1/157 Parsonage Farmhouse
Farmhouse formerly parsonage. Late C17, possibly an earlier
foundations, extended in C18 and c1830. Built of Isle of Wight
stone rubble or coursed rubble with brick dressings. Tiled
roof and brick chimneystacks. Complicated plan of late C17
house built endwise to road with late C18 3-bay T wing added
facing the road, late C18 offices on other side, and c1830
billiard room built on to T wing. Original part of house had 2
C18 or early C19 mullioned windows on 1st floor and later
mullioned windows on ground floor. Doorcase has later plank
door in moulded wooden architrave. Late C18 1 storey stone
extension to right with round-headed doorcase. Late C18 T wing
has 3 C19 casement windows with red brick dressings. Rear
elevation at junction with earlier part of house has brick
wall with some English and some Flemish bond. Roof has some
curved tiles. Early C19 billiard room extension of 1 storey
dated 1830 with initials IJ in the end wall. Mainly stone
rubble, but end wall of brick in Sussex bond. Pantiled roof.
Living room has a massive oak bressumer to fireplace and a
spine beam with 5in chamfer, probably C16 or early C17 and
possibly the core of an earlier building. Early C18 staircase
with splat balusters and turned newel post. 1st floor has 3
beams with 2 to 3 inch chamfers, late C17 or early C18 in
date. Roof was originally thatched. The purlins are butted on
to the principal rafters. Diagonal tension braces. Original
floor boards. Plank and muntin partition. C18 T wing has roof
with chamfered staggered purlins. Half winder staircase to
attics with 2-panelled door. Cupboard with butterfly hinges.
Billiard room has 2 corner cupboards with serpentine shelves.
There is documentary evidence of a house here in 1548. The
Edgcombe family of Mount Edgcombe in Cornwall owned this house
for many years. Richard Edgcombe probably built the earliest
part of the house c1685, perhaps around an earlier core and
Lord George Edgcombe probably extended it in the late C18.

Listing NGR: SZ5607385821

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.