This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7829 / 53°46'58"N
Longitude: -1.0632 / 1°3'47"W
OS Eastings: 461825
OS Northings: 432248
OS Grid: SE618322
Mapcode National: GBR PS0P.MP
Mapcode Global: WHFD2.M5YS
Plus Code: 9C5WQWMP+5P
Entry Name: Selby Railway Station Building on Up Platform, Canopies on Both Platforms, Footbridge and Benches
Listing Date: 14 November 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 325849
Location: Selby, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Selby
Built-Up Area: Selby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Selby St Mary and St Germain
Church of England Diocese: York
5342 Selby Railway Station:
building on up platform,
canopies on both platforms,
footbridge and benches
SE 6132 SE 5/151
Opened 2 January 1871. Building on up platform. Brown brick, with blue brick
strings and chequered voussoirs: ashlar sills and some ashlar voussoirs. One storey.
Nine segment-headed windows and twelve doors (each with six moulded panels) with
segment-headed fanlights. Extension to south has two doors and one window.
Building on down platform has been destroyed, but the canopy remains.
Canopies on both platforms. Half-hipped roofs, glazed above, slate below. Down
platform retains parts of its cast-iron moulded cornice with fluted consoles and
simulated fretwork valance. Cast-iron trusses, moulded to simulate wood, taken
on two cast-iron columns each, with stylised foliage capitals.
Bridge. Single flat iron span. Sides enclosed with board and batten partitioning.
Segmental boarded roof. Stair treads have contemporary wooden non-slip surfaces.
Cast-iron balustrade with elaborate moulded newels: moulded wooden handrail.
Cast-iron benches of rustic design.
History: The first station on this site was built by the Hull and Selby Railway
between 1836 and 1840. The present station was built when the North Eastern Railway
built its cut-off from Chaloner Whin junction, York, to Shaftholme junction, Doncaster.
The Act for this was obtained on 13 May 1864, and it was opened on 2 January 1871.
Thus Selby became an important junction on through routes from London to Edinburgh,
and from Liverpool to Hull.
Listing NGR: SE6182532248
Other nearby listed buildings