History in Structure

Manor Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding

A Grade II Listed Building in Deddington, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9817 / 51°58'54"N

Longitude: -1.2895 / 1°17'22"W

OS Eastings: 448891

OS Northings: 231706

OS Grid: SP488317

Mapcode National: GBR 7TV.QSX

Mapcode Global: VHCWN.LGM6

Plus Code: 9C3WXPJ6+M5

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365855

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243859

ID on this website: 101365855

Location: Clifton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Deddington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Deddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Tagged with: Farmhouse

Find accommodation in


(South side)
3/135 Manor Farmhouse and attached
08/12/55 outbuilding

Farmhouse, now house. Probably mid C17 and 1685 (on datestone) extended C19.
Coursed squared marlstone with some wooden lintels and some ashlar dressings;
Stonesfield-slate, concrete plain-tile and corrugated-asbestos roofs with brick
stacks. 3-unit through-passage plan in 2 builds plus added rear wing. 2 storeys
plus attic. 2 bays to left of 3-window front are earlier and have a 2-storey
late-C17 gabled porch projecting on the right, with a fine 4-centre-arched
moulded entrance below a 3-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned window, both with
labels; earlier arched inner doorway has a plain chamfer and a fine contemporary
ribbed door with a wooden latch. To left of porch at each floor is a 3-light
transomed wooden window, altered to take wooden opening lights. Immediately left
of porch is a similar single-light window (probably inserted) and to right are
further similar windows of 3, 2 and 2 lights at ground floor; first floor has a
3-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned window. Chamfered plinth is not continued
on right side of porch and beyond; oval date plaque on the later bay is
inscribed "T.W./1685" probably for Thomas Welman. Steep-pitched roof has stacks
to left gable and to right of centre. Rear has further altered transomed windows
plus ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows of 2 and 3 lights, now blocked by the
C19 wing which returns from the right. Interior: chamfered beams. C17
steep-roofed outbuilding, extending from the left, has trusses which cross at
the apex, and retains most of the loft floor.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p88; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p549)

Listing NGR: SP4889131706

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.