History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

38, West End

A Grade II* Listed Building in March, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5509 / 52°33'3"N

Longitude: 0.0835 / 0°5'0"E

OS Eastings: 541363

OS Northings: 296820

OS Grid: TL413968

Mapcode National: GBR L35.3XV

Mapcode Global: VHHHJ.D4HT

Entry Name: 38, West End

Listing Date: 13 March 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366042

English Heritage Legacy ID: 401795

Location: March, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE15

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

Civil Parish: March

Built-Up Area: March

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: March St John

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
March

Listing Text

TL 4196 MARCH WEST END
(North Side)

23/49 No. 38
13. 3.51

II*


House. Dated 1626, extended early C19. Local red brick, English bond with
low pitch early C19 roof of slate. The kneelers of the 1626 gable end
parapet with cut and moulded brickwork are visible at the front right hand.
End stacks, the one to the left hand projects and also has cut and moulded
brickwork. Two storeys. Front wall has typical thickening of the ground
floor wall. Three casements, C20 at first floor. Stone with date 1626 in
front wall. Central doorway with C19 raised and fielded panelled door with
two small glazed upper panels. Inside: One ground floor room has ovolo
moulded joists and particularly fine carving to the soffits of two main
beams. The main beam nearest the river is carved with stylised foliage and
three male and female mask heads. The other has grotesque heads and
fantastic animals. Another room has C18 raised and fielded panelling to the
dado and late C18, shouldered fireplace surround with frieze of festoons and
in the centre a pastoral scene of a shepherd, dog and sheep. In the original
rear wall of the 1626 house there are two four-light ovolo mullion windows
with iron saddle bars. One window has had two mullions removed. The
staircase dates from the extension in early C19, open-string with turned
newel, square section balusters and scroll tread ends.


Listing NGR: TL4136396820

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.