This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3208 / 53°19'14"N
Longitude: -2.1433 / 2°8'35"W
OS Eastings: 390549
OS Northings: 380441
OS Grid: SJ905804
Mapcode National: GBR FZG1.S9
Mapcode Global: WHBB9.1SNK
Entry Name: Adlington Hall Mews
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Last Amended: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366183
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58192
Location: Adlington, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Adlington
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 98 SW ADLINGTON C.P. MILL LANE
3/26 Nos 1-8 Adlington Hall Mews
(formerly listed as
Outbuildings at Adlington
Formerly coach house and stables, now 8 flats: dated 1749 for Charles
Legh and converted 1971-4. Flemish bond red brick with ashlar buff
sandstone dressings. Kerridge stone-slate hipped roof, stone ridge.
2-storey symmetrical 9-bay south front. Stone band at ground storey
sill level and a modillion cornice. Central 3 bays step forward under
a triangular pediment and are divided by giant order Tuscan pilasters,
supporting plain stone frieze. Central large semi-circular headed
coach entrance has keystone with datestone and Legh monogram. Bays to
either side have 6-pane windows under flat wedged channelled heads
below, 4-pane above. Circular light in stone surround in pediment.
Similar 4 and 6-pane windows in remaining bays except for 2 with iron
balconies. Motifs continue in short ranges to rear. There is a
mounting block of 4 stone steps and a brick core in front of coach
This was the earliest of Charles Legh's classical brick buildings and
dominates the old south approach which ran from the Pillars (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SJ9054980441
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings