This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9031 / 52°54'11"N
Longitude: -2.4827 / 2°28'57"W
OS Eastings: 367632
OS Northings: 334074
OS Grid: SJ676340
Mapcode National: GBR 7V.P3H3
Mapcode Global: WH9C3.T9Z7
Plus Code: 9C4VWG38+7W
Entry Name: Saint Mary's Hall and the Old Grammar School
Listing Date: 7 May 1952
Last Amended: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260362
Location: Market Drayton, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Market Drayton
Built-Up Area: Market Drayton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Market Drayton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
MARKET DRAYTON C.P.
PHOENIX BANK (north-west side)
Saint Mary's Hall and The Old Grammar School
(formerly listed as Old Grammar School)
Grammar school and schoolmaster's house, now 2 houses. Mid-C18, possibly
incorporating some mid-C16 fabric. Red brick with plain tile roofs.
Sloping site with former schoolhouse of one storey and attic to north-
west and 2 storeys and attic to south east and former schoolmaster's
house adjoining to south-west of 2 storeys and attic and storeys and
attic. Schoolhouse, north-west front: plat band, parapeted gable
end to left and integral brick end stacks. Pair of hipped eaves dormers
with 2-light wooden casements. 4 bays; segmental-headed wooden cross
windows with painted stone cills. C20 plaque between first and second
windows from right inscribed: "THIS IS THE ORIGINAL / ST MARY'S HALL
/ IN WHICH SIR ROWLAND HILL, KT / THE FIRST PROTESTANT LORD MAYOR OF
LONDON, / FOUNDED THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL / IN 1555. / ROBERT CLIVE 1st LORD
CLIVE, / THE FOUNDER OF THE INDIAN / EMPIRE, WAS A PUPIL HERE." South-
east front: plat band.3 hipped eaves dormers. 1:4 bays; segmental-
headed wooden cross windows. 2 storey projection to left with glazing
bar sashes. Schoolmaster's house, north-west front: Plinth, plat
band and parapeted gable ends with integral brick gable ends. 3 hipped
dormers with 2-light wooden casements. 5 bays; glazing bar sashes
with exposed boxes; segmental-brick relieving arches to first floor
and gauged heads to ground floor. C20 small-paned glazed doors in
left-hand bay and in second bay from right, both with C20 doorcases
consisting of moulded architrave, frieze and cornice. Disturbed brick-
work suggests that the left-hand door replaces a window. Right-hand
gable end: plat bands 2 bays with glazing bar sashes and 2 small square
attic casements. South-east front: plat bands. 4 bays; glazing
bar sashes with exposed boxes, stone cills and gauged-brick heads.
C20 small-paned glazed door with rectangular overlight in third bay
from left. Interior of Saint Mary's Hall: former ground-(or first-)
floor school room. Reset mid-C16 stone bust of Sir Rowland Hill in
niche with elliptical arch and superscribed inscription below: "ROLANDUS
/ HYLL MILES", set in moulded panel. C17 or C18 dais at south-west
end of hall with plaster coving above to moulded wooden cornice. C18
oak winder stair. Former kitchen in basement (or ground floor) with
large early C19 fireplace surround. Former dormitories in attic.
3-bay roof. Trusses with upper crucks or curved principal rafters
on one side. The Grammar School was founded in 1558 by Sir Rowland
Hill. Although facing onto a footpath leading to the Church of Saint
Mary (q.v.) the address of these buildings is Phoenix Bank onto which
their other elevation looks. B.o.E., p.195.
Listing NGR: SJ6763234074
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings