This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.918 / 50°55'4"N
Longitude: -2.7724 / 2°46'20"W
OS Eastings: 345802
OS Northings: 113449
OS Grid: ST458134
Mapcode National: GBR MH.QFFN
Mapcode Global: FRA 562P.3RV
Plus Code: 9C2VW69H+53
Entry Name: Bow Mill House, with Attached Mill
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366476
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262342
Location: Merriott, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Merriott
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Merriott
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST41SE MERRIOTT CP
3/97 Bow Mill House, with attached mill
Mill house and watermill. Later C17, but some rebuilding after fire in 1862,
Has stone ashlar; undulating roof with plain clay tiles over stone slate base courses, between tall coped gables suggesting former thatch; brick chimney
stacks. 'L'-plan; 2 storeys with attics, west elevation 5 bays. Hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in chamfered recesses, of 3, 2 and 3 lights first floor bays
3, 4 and 5, 4-lights ground floor bay 3 and 3-light ground floor bay 5, this
last being the only with separate label; shared label to ground floor bay 3
and cambered-arched doorway to bay 4, which has pair of earlier C19 doors with toplights. Bay 1, the mill, has a door at first floor level approached by
stone steps; part-glazed door to ground floor bay 2. South elevation similar,
of 3 bays, with gable to bay 1: 2-light window to attic, 3-light window to
first floor, with labels; 2-light without label ground floor bay 1, C20 French doors lower bay 2, 3-light mullioned window with label ground floor bay 3.
Leanto at rear, and ground floor extension to mill building having stone
access stair to left door on north gable. Interior not seen, but the mill
wheel and leat both survived in 1977. This mill first recorded in 1373 present building may follow John Pitts purchase in 1669 mill badly damaged by fire in 1862 but rebuilt: mill apparently not in commercial use after 1896
(VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1973, p58).
Listing NGR: ST4580213449
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings