This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9663 / 52°57'58"N
Longitude: -2.6814 / 2°40'53"W
OS Eastings: 354328
OS Northings: 341212
OS Grid: SJ543412
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.K358
Mapcode Global: WH89H.SP9T
Plus Code: 9C4VX889+GC
Entry Name: 23 and 25 Dodington
Listing Date: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260617
Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban
Built-Up Area: Whitchurch
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH URBAN CP
DODINGTON (south west side)
Nos. 23 and 25
House, now divided. Early to mid C16. Partly rebuilt and enlarged in the late C18, and front remodelled c.1900. Timber framed with brick nogging, painted to rear. Partly rebuilt or refaced and extended in red brick. Planted timbers to first floor at front (in quatrefoil and other patterns). Plain tile roof. H-plan.
Hall range of two framed bays with cross wings of two framed bays. Later wing to rear. Hall range of one storey and attic with two storey cross-wings and rear wing of two storeys and gable-lit attic. Chamfered plinth, slightly-jettied first floor, jettied gables with planted moulded tie-beams and planted moulded cambered collars, all with brackets. Integral brick lateral stack to right and large external brick end stack to rear of right-hand wing with stone-coped parapet. Pair of central gabled eaves dormers with two-light C20 wooden casements. Four window front; three-light wooden casements, with segmental heads and chamfered painted stone cills to ground floor. Pair of six-panelled doors to centre with lean-to porch over both on curved brackets. Louvred basement openings to cross wings. Left-hand gable end with toothed-brick floor band, planted timbers in gable, first floor segmental-headed two-light wooden casement, and boarded door.
Rear of hall range with timber framing to first floor and exposed collar and tie-beam truss in rear gable end of right-hand cross wing. Late C18 rear wing. Parapeted gable end with stone coping and shaped stone kneelers. Brick ridge stack and integral brick end stack. Two window south east front; three-light wooden casements with segmental relieving arches. Boarded door off-centre to left with segmental relieving arch. Two storey late C18 infill in angle of rear of left-hand cross wing and rear wing, with stone coped parapeted gable end and lateral stack.
Interior: divided c.1900, but retaining earlier fabric and fittings. C16 deep-chamfered ceiling beams. C18 L-plan, oak staircase with landing, open string with cut brackets, moulded nosings, column-on-vase balusters (each tread with central unfluted column on plain vase. Flanked by iron-twist columns on wreathed vases), ramped toad-back moulded hand-rail, wreathed with three-quarter splay and foot newel formed from four clustered balusters. Ramped panelled dado, and lower side with raised and fielded panelling. C18 archway at foot of staircase with fluted Doric antae and elliptical arch with moulded architrave and fluted keystone. C17 panelled door into stair hall.
Right-hand ground floor rear room: chamfered ogee arch into hall range. Plank and muntin door to cellar. Large open fireplace with wooden lintel and beaded boxed surround of c.1800 with moulded cornice and cupboard to right. Ground floor right-hand rear wing: chamfered beam. C17 dado rail. Pair of C18 depressed archways with antae.
First floor: landing with dado panelling. First floor right-hand front room with C18 plaster dentil cornice. First floor rear room with exposed close-studded framing (in rear wall of hall range) and collar and tie-beam truss with queen struts.
Roof: C16. Collar and cambered tie-beam trusses with queen struts, single purlins and straight wind braces. Wattle and daub infill panels. Late C18 roof over rear wing consisting of elbowed upper cruck trusses with collars, and pairs of purlins.
Listing NGR: SJ5432841212
Other nearby listed buildings