This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6569 / 52°39'24"N
Longitude: -2.8513 / 2°51'4"W
OS Eastings: 342509
OS Northings: 306913
OS Grid: SJ425069
Mapcode National: GBR BD.5NPH
Mapcode Global: WH8BZ.5HG0
Plus Code: 9C4VM44X+QF
Entry Name: Brookgate Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 July 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259528
Location: Pontesbury, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Pontesbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Pontesbury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 40 NW
Farmhouse, now derelict. C14 or C15, extended and re-modelled c.1600 with later additions and alterations. Timber-framed, partially of cruck construction now largely encased in red brick, plain-tile roofs. Originally a two-bay open hall with a service bay at lower (west) end, floored over c.1600 and with an axial ridge stack inserted at lower end of hall; simultaneously or possibly a little later a four-bay cross-wing was added to left and a two-bay kitchen range to rear on right, forming the present U-plan. Two storeys and attics; framing: largely obscured by brick casing and plaster, but rear gables are close-studded with V-struts from upper collar to left; projecting left-hand gable to front, which is crow stepped, has one range of mid-C19 casements with segmental arches; flush right-hand gable also has mid-C19 casements to ground and first floors off-set to left; mid-C19 four-panel door with console bracketed hood in line with axial red brick ridge stack to left and plain four-panel door to right gable without hood.
INTERIOR: timber frame (close studding and square panelling) substantially intact throughout; massive chamfered spine beams to hall range on ground floor with heavy joists and ogee chamfer stops; the front room of the left-hand cross wing has a cross-beamed ceiling also with ogee chamfered stops and later moulded plaster infill; large stack with infilled inglenook fireplace; cellar beneath rear room of cross-wing; smoke-blackened roof structure visible upstairs and in attic; three true cruck trusses with upper and lower collars and Alcock apex type E, the westernmost arch-braced with a cusped spere truss from the collar; the cross wing has a chamfered double-purlin roof with tie and collar beams and straight wind braces; there is a well in the kitchen and a mid-C19 dairy to rear. A cast-iron fireback dated 1638 with the initials "R.P.E.", for Richard and Elinor Peers, formerly in the house has now been removed.
The house is graded II* on account of the completeness of the medieval and later timber frame.
Listing NGR: SJ4250906913
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings