This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5525 / 52°33'9"N
Longitude: -2.7299 / 2°43'47"W
OS Eastings: 350603
OS Northings: 295217
OS Grid: SO506952
Mapcode National: GBR BK.D8M4
Mapcode Global: VH83B.M3NK
Entry Name: The Barracks
Listing Date: 29 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259567
Location: Cardington, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Cardington
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Cardington
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 5095-5195 CARDINGTON C.P. CARDINGTON
12/26 Nos. 16 and 17
29.1.52 (The Barracks)
House. C14 and late C16 with late C18, C19 and mid-C20 alterations
and additions. Timber-framed with plastered infill; partly rebuilt
and extended in thinly coursed yellow sandstone rubble with right-
hand gable end in dressed Hoar Edge Grit sandstone; plain tile roof.
C14 hall range of 2½ framed bays with projecting gabled C16 cross-
wing of 2 framed bays to north. Framing: C14 square panels with large
arch braces; C16 closely-spaced uprights with middle rails (side wall
and rear) and square panels with parallel diagonal struts forming lozenge
panels; jettied gable ends of cross-wing with ovolo moulded bressumer
on carved brackets and redundant crown-post trusses with v-struts.
2 storeys with cross-wing of one storey and attic. West front: large
ridge stack off-centre to left at junction with cross-wing with dressed
sandstone base and weathering and 3 red brick star-shaped shafts with
oversailing tops; integral stone corner stack at front to right. Right-
hand range with 2 first-floor 2-light C20 wooden casements and 2 ground-
floor C20 wooden casements; catslide roof over central C20 lean-to
addition with 2 wooden casements to the front, and hipped roof over
glazed porch to right with boarded door in return; cross-wing to left
with 4-light C20 wooden attic casement and C20 ground-floor 3-light
casement with glazed door to right. Straight joint in hall range to
right dividing former medieval hall and C18 stone addition. Fire insurance
plate in right-hand gable end. First-floor timber framing at rear
of hall range. Interior: 3 crown-post trusses over hall range, plain
except for cusped down braces; smoke blackening; inserted c.1600 ceiling
in hall range has chamfered beams with ogee stops; large hall fireplace
with chamfered dressed sandstone reveals and chamfered wooden lintel;
cross-wing has central collar and tie-beam truss (minus queen struts)
with v-struts, and pairs of purlins (lower chamfered) with wind braces;
ovolo-moulded ground-floor cross-wing ceiling beams and large open
fireplace with chamfered stone reveals and chamfered lintel. The hall
range may have extended further at one time but the present end bay
is probably C18. M. Moran, Survey of The Barracks (November, 1983).
Listing NGR: SO5060295213
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings