History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Buildwas, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.6394 / 52°38'21"N

Longitude: -2.538 / 2°32'16"W

OS Eastings: 363691

OS Northings: 304758

OS Grid: SJ636047

Mapcode National: GBR BT.6V6L

Mapcode Global: WH9D7.ZXLH

Plus Code: 9C4VJFQ6+PR

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366860

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258792

Location: Buildwas, Shropshire, TF8

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Buildwas

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Buildwas Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in


SJ 60 SW
5/10 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. Medieval orgins, re-built 1720, restored 1864. Regularly
coursed gritstone with chamfered plinth, ashlar dressings; machine tile
roofs with coped verges. Nave, chancel, west belfry, south porch and
north vestry. Nave: in 2 bays; round-headed windows with raised keystones
and imposts and later Y-tracery, one in centre on north, one to west wall
and one on south to east of gabled stone porch, which has a moulded
pointed arch with rose boss to apex and a cast-iron plate above recording
the re-building of the church in 1720; late C19 timber framed belfry
with steep pyramidal roof and brass weathercock. Chancel: 2 bays with
angle buttresses; 2-light Gothic-style windows (c.1864) flank pointed
chamfered doorway on south; east window of 3 lights in similar style and
gabled vestry on north at junction with nave. Interior: pointed south
doorway has a C18 door of 7 vertical planks; contemporary west gallery
with turned balusters supported on 2 wooden posts; 2-bay king-post roof
to nave and 2-bay hammer-beam roof to chancel, both c.1864; pointed chancel
arch also of this date and late C19 stained glass in east window;
pews c.1864; richly carved C17 Puipit and small mid-C19 octagonal font
with carved quatrefoils and slender stem. Monuments: wall memorials to
Humphrey Wheeler (died 1739), nave north side, and John Clarke (died 1717),
nave south side, with a brass plate to Mary Boycott (died 1656) on
south wall of nave; a board (dated 1857), recording benefactions to
parish, hangs on west wall. In the medieval period the church was a
possession of nearby Buildwas Abbey (q.v.). B.o.E. Pp.87-8; D.H.S. Cranage,
The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905) P.564.

Listing NGR: SJ6369104758

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.