This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7325 / 52°43'56"N
Longitude: -2.8427 / 2°50'33"W
OS Eastings: 343190
OS Northings: 315315
OS Grid: SJ431153
Mapcode National: GBR BD.0YN6
Mapcode Global: WH8BL.9LK2
Entry Name: Montford Bridge
Listing Date: 29 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259098
Location: Montford, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Bicton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Montford with Shrawardine
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 41 NW
Bridge. 1790-2 (dated 1792), Thomas Telford Engineer. Parapet altered in 1963. Red sandstone ashlar. Three elliptical arches, each with chamfered voussoirs, raised keystones and chamfered-rusticated extrados. Arches divided by wide pilaster strips and semi-circular cutwaters with plinths and band to domed tops. Balustrade to widened footpaths of 1963. C18 wing walls curve out to circular end piers. When the C18 parapet was rebuilt the datestone above the central arch was resited adjoining the south-east end pier; inscribed: "MDCCXCII". The bridge carries the Holyhead Road over the River Severn.
This was Telford's first bridge built when he was County Surveyor of Bridges for Shropshire. Telford's estimate was for £5,800. The stone was provided by John Lowden and John Brown from Lord Bradford's quarry at Nesscliffe. Mathew Davidson of Langholm was employed to superintend the work, John Simpson of Shrewsbury was employed as mason, and the contract for building the bridge was awarded to John Carline and John Tilley of Shrewsbury. In the years after 1817 Telford was the engineer for the Holyhead Road improvements.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23 March 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings