This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4246 / 52°25'28"N
Longitude: -2.9807 / 2°58'50"W
OS Eastings: 333410
OS Northings: 281188
OS Grid: SO334811
Mapcode National: GBR B7.N6V4
Mapcode Global: VH76B.9B34
Entry Name: Clunton Mill (Disused)
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257579
Location: Clunbury, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Clunbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Clunbury with Clunton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
CLUNBURY C.P. CLUNTON
SO 38 SW
3/74 Clunton Mill (disused)
Mill, now disused. Probably early C19 with later additions and
alterations. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with red brick dressings
and red brick on upper level to rear; slate roof. Main rectangular
block with full-length outshut to rear housing wheel. 3 levels.
Stable door to left and casement to right; segmental-headed window on
each floor to right gable end. Circular iron ties. Outshut has
segmental arch to mill race to left. Interior: remarkable survival
of equipment. Undershot wheel has iron axle and wooden spokes and
paddles; cogs for sluice gate adjoining. Ground floor of main building
has stone-flag floor and massive plain cross beam. Ladder staircase to
first floor. Corn bin to right and chute from later flour dresser to
left. Gearing connected to millstones on first floor behind weather-
boarded partition to right. Secondary wheel attached to main wheel.
Apart from 2 millstones in situ first floor has pulleys for lifting
gear. Late C19 or early C20 flour dresser in cupboard-like structure
to left. Has notice attached (dated 1904 from Shropshire County Council
Public Health Department) warning of the dangers of spreading consumption
from spitting on floors and walls. Heavy plain cross beam and ladder
staircase to second floor, which has more chutes and pulleys. Roof
structure in 2 bays. The mill which was used to grind corn, stopped
working commercially in 1936 and completely in 1938. The infilled mill
pond lies immediately to west.
Listing NGR: SO3341081188
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings