This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8649 / 52°51'53"N
Longitude: -3.0697 / 3°4'10"W
OS Eastings: 328083
OS Northings: 330246
OS Grid: SJ280302
Mapcode National: GBR 72.RJV6
Mapcode Global: WH78R.T8F1
Entry Name: The Hayes
Listing Date: 10 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367338
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255561
Location: Oswestry, Shropshire, SY10
Civil Parish: Oswestry
Built-Up Area: Croesowallt
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Oswestry St Oswald King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 2830-2930 OSWESTRY C.P. MOUNT ROAD (south-west side)
11/88 The Hayes
Hunting lodge, now house. Mid-C17 with later additions and alterations.
Regularly coursed sandstone rubble, slate roof with coped verges on
stone kneelers and ball finials to gables. Cruciform plan with late
C19 addition (re-roofed in late C20) in angle between right and rear
gables. 2 storeys and attics, moulded eaves cornice; cellars beneath
chamfered plinth; mullioned windows to cellar with cross-windows to
front and rear gables; right gable has 3-light mullioned and transomed
windows to ground and first floors and cross-window to attic; front
gable: double-chamfered cross-windows to left and right of door on
both floors with one in centre to attic; four-centred arched -doorway,
approached by flight of 5 steps, has enriched spandrels and moulded
label, nail-studded door with scrolled strap hinges, original knocker
and lock; 2-storey canted bay to left gable with 7-light mullioned and
transomed windows on each floor probably a later C17 addition; brick
segmental-headed doorway to rear gable (left side) and flat-headed
doorway to left gable (rear side), latter converted from mullioned
window lighting cellar; prominent central ridge stack with 10 attached
octagonal brick shafts now roughcast. C19 addition has apparently
C17 mullioned and cross-windows, presumably moved out from rear and right
gables when addition was built. Interior: mid-C17 oak rectangular
panelling in main ground- and first-floor rooms, some with decorative
carving; moulded stone fireplace with four-centred arch to ground-floor
room of left gable, fireplace to other side of stack (in centre of
house) infilled but has richly carved Jacobean overmantel with grotesque
human figures; date "D/RM/1656" on overmantel to fireplace in main
first-floor room; open-well staircase rising from ground floor to attic
looks C19 but is probably in position of original staircase; several
C17 plank doors with C19 cast-iron grates to some of the fireplaces.
B.O.E. pp. 146-7: Trans. Salop. Arch. Soc. Vol. LVI, Pt. III (1960)
Listing NGR: SJ2808730246
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings