This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7886 / 52°47'18"N
Longitude: -2.5243 / 2°31'27"W
OS Eastings: 364735
OS Northings: 321353
OS Grid: SJ647213
Mapcode National: GBR 7S.XCBX
Mapcode Global: WH9CP.656J
Plus Code: 9C4VQFQG+C7
Entry Name: Church of St. John the Baptist
Listing Date: 18 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367430
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361866
Location: Waters Upton, Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire, TF6
County: Telford and Wrekin
Civil Parish: Waters Upton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bolas Magna St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
BOLAS MAGNA GREAT BOLAS
5562 Church of St John the Baptist
SJ 62 SW 18/8 18.6.59
Nave rebuilt and west tower added in 1726-9 by John Willdigg. The sandstone chancel
has earlier origin probably medieval.
The nave and west tower are built of red brick with stone dressings with tiled roof.
The nave has moulded stone eaves cornice and rusticated quoins, moulded plinth and
3 north and 3 south windows with pilasters and round arches with keyblocks in the
eaves cornice and moulded sills with brick aprons. One small moulded stone bullseye
window on the north side.
The west tower is contemporary but there was reputedly a fire in the tower and the
bell stage seems to have been altered a little. Brick corner pilasters, string
courses, pilastered bell openings with moulded round arches with keystones. Parapet
with stone was at the corners. Bullseye windows below the belfry with keyblocks.
Wide west doorway with moulded architrave and round arch with keyblock containing
fanlight and panelled double doors.
The chancel built of sandstone has round arched east window with seemingly reused
mouldings. South window, 2 lancets set in chamfered round arch and a chamfered
round arched south doorway.
Interior complete set of Cl8 fielded panel box piers in the nave (said to have been
brought in). C18 fielded panel pulpit with tester.
C18 gallery in the tower with balustrade across the tower arch and entablature
beneath. C18 panelled dado and C18 communion rail. Choir pews have early C17 ends
and C18 panelled fronts. Square front dated 1843. Chancel roof is modern, and the
nave roof is plain and plastered.
The churchyard contains many C18 headstones and tomb chests.
Listing NGR: SJ6473521353
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings