This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6636 / 52°39'48"N
Longitude: -2.3018 / 2°18'6"W
OS Eastings: 379687
OS Northings: 307357
OS Grid: SJ796073
Mapcode National: GBR 06X.T2K
Mapcode Global: WH9DC.M94W
Plus Code: 9C4VMM7X+C7
Entry Name: The Red House
Listing Date: 26 May 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255322
Location: Tong, Shropshire, TF11
Civil Parish: Tong
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Tong St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 70 NE TONG C.P. NEWPORT ROAD
6/34 The Red House.
House. Dated 1766 on brick to front. Red brick with old tile roof.
L-plan. 3 storeys with 2 storey wing to rear. Moulded stone plinth,
giant order of end pilaster strips, moulded wooden eaves cornice, stone
coped parapet gable end, end stacks and stack to rear. 3 bays; windows
with C19 wooden mullioned and transomed casements, bracketed cills,
gauged heads, and projecting keystones. Central 6-panelled door with
top 4 panels glazed, doorcase with moulded architrave, frieze and
cornice, and C19 wrought iron lattice porch with tented hood. 2 storey
outbuilding set back to right of red brick with tile roof; plinth, eaves
band, dentilled brick eaves cornice, and parapeted gable end. Two C20
casements with segmental relieving arches flanking central blocked
segmental arched doorway. RP/AP/MP inscribed on bricks to front.
Interior: C18 two-flight dog-leg staircase with open string, turned
balusters, and inlaid moulded ramped handrail. N. Pevsner, B.O.E.
Listing NGR: SJ7969207360
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings