This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6645 / 52°39'52"N
Longitude: -2.3757 / 2°22'32"W
OS Eastings: 374688
OS Northings: 307491
OS Grid: SJ746074
Mapcode National: GBR 06T.S7C
Mapcode Global: WH9DB.G9Y4
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 May 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367657
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255245
Location: Shifnal, Shropshire, TF11
Civil Parish: Shifnal
Built-Up Area: Shifnal
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shifnal St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 7407-7507; 10/28
CHURCH STREET (North side)
Church of St. Andrew
Parish Church. C12 and C13 with alterations in C14 and C15, and after
fire of 1591; restored 1876-9 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Random
coursed sandstone, ashlar, and old tile roofs. Cruciform, with central
tower, 4-bay chancel with South chapel and vestry to North, and 4-bay
nave and aisles with South porch.
Tower: late C13. Three stages with set
backs, stair turret to North-West, battlemented parapet, and pyramidal
roof with finial. Nave: large 3-light West window and doorway beneath
with moulded surround, one order of shafts with bell capitals, and moulded
arch with hoodmould. South Aisle: battlemented parapet to C15 re-building
at right. 2-light window to left with plate tracery, and three 3-light
windows to right with panelled tracery and hoodmoulds. South Perch:
2 storeys with gable to front; first floor 2-light transomed window with
quatrefoil plate tracery; moulded trefoiled entrance arch with two orders
of shafts, bell capitals, and hoodmould; gabled stair turret to left.
Interior of porch has quadripartite vault with moulded ribs, central carved
boss, and corner shafts with bell capitals; simply moulded South doorway.
North Aisle: paired 2-light windows with quatrefoil plate tracery; boarded
door in second bay from West with hoodmould. South Transept: C12 with
C15 battlemented parapet; two C15 two-light windows to South with panelled
tracery and hoodmoulds; central blocked C12 doorway consisting of two orders
of shafts with shaft rings and carved foliated capitals. North Transept:
C15; battlemented parapet and projecting stair turret to North-West; 2 and
3-light windows with panelled tracery and hoodmoulds; chamfered arched North
doorway. Chancel: C12 and c. 1360. North side: two central C12 round arched
windows with nook shafts, hoodmoulds, and corbelled eaves above, 3-light C16
window to right, and 3-light C14 window to left. South side: 3-light C14
window to right, C14 cusped-arched tomb recess beneath with female effigy,
and C18 wall tablet to left. East end: large 5-light window with reticulated
trefoil tracery, and hoodmould. South Chapel: two bays; 3-light windows with
reticulated tracery; central South door with string course carried over as
hoodmould, and carved figure in wall above. Vestry: dated 1899 on cast iron
rainwater heads, by W. D. Caroe in a Tudor Gothic style. Battlemented parapet;
depressed-arched 3-light windows; bearded door to East.
INTERIOR: nave arcade
with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches with hood-
moulds; first floor porch room projecting into second aisle bay from West
with lower arcade arch, and quadripartite vault beneath with moulded ribs
and central carved boss. Circa 1591 seven-bay double hammer-beam nave roof with
carved scroll brackets. Tall double-chamfered crossing arches. South Transept
with chamfered arch into South Aisle; restored C12 arch into South Chancel
Chapel with nook shaft; former external C12 window to West with splayed reveals,
nook shafts and hoodmould; aumbry to North and remains of piscina to South;
C16 flat roof. North Transept with chamfered arch into North Aisle and C16
flat roof. Chancel: former C12 chancel arch to East of crossing with square
abacia and carved capitals; 4-bay sedilia and piscina with open trefoiled
arches; Circa 1591 four-bay double hammer-beam roof with carved scroll
brackets. South (Moreton) Chapel: 2-bay C14 north arcade with octagonal
piers, and moulded capitals and arches; remains of re-used C13 sedilia in
South wall; probably C16 hammer-beam roof.
Fittings: C17 octagonal wooden
pulpit with C19 enrichments, C19 octagonal stone font, and hatchment in
South Transept. Glass includes West window of 1848-52, East window
by Hardman of c. 1867, and two windows in South Transept by Powell's of
1863. Monuments: Thomas Forster of 1526, tomb recess in North Chancel
wall with two piers supporting cornice, depressed arch with carved spandrels,
and effigy of priest; Oliver Brigges of 1596, chest tomb in South Chapel
with recumbant effigy; Humphrey Brigges and wife of 1626, chest tomb in
South Chapel with two recumbent effigies, and two small kneeling figures at
feet of wife: Magdalen Brigges of 1698, tablet on South Chancel wall
with bust in circular niche with putti above; Revd. Moreton Esq. of 1746,
tablet in South Chapel; Mary Bagott of 1746, tablet in South Chapel.
Stone in Churchyard wall near gate to Meet inscribed "Ope sela Gulielmi
watford, Viri plurimum/Awici Tandum Resurg /1691" (not listed).
Cranage, Vol.1, pp. 27-37; N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, pp. 243-5.
Listing NGR: SJ7468807491
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings