History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables Circa 70 Metres to North East of Filkins Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Filkins, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7391 / 51°44'20"N

Longitude: -1.6527 / 1°39'9"W

OS Eastings: 424078

OS Northings: 204539

OS Grid: SP240045

Mapcode National: GBR 5TM.WH1

Mapcode Global: VHC05.9KN6

Entry Name: Stables Circa 70 Metres to North East of Filkins Hall

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367691

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253508

Location: Filkins and Broughton Poggs, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Filkins and Broughton Poggs

Built-Up Area: Filkins

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton Poggs with Filkins

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Broadwell

Listing Text

SP2404-2504 FILKINS AND BROUGHTON POGGS VILLAGE STREET
(South-east side)
Filkins
8/210 Stables c.70m to NE of Filkins
12/09/55 Hall
(Formerly listed as under
Dovecot and Stables at Filkins
Hall)

GV II
Former stable block, converted to 3 houses. Dated ECN 1810 on shaped stone
plaque in front gable. By Richard Pace of Lechlade for Edward Colston of Filkins
Hall. Dressed stone centre bay with flanking rubble stone wings, all of
limestone. Stone slate roofs, hipped at either end. Tall centre bay with former
coach entry projects slightly, and has shaped gable with bellcote, flush quoins,
plinth, raised stone bands and moulded cornice. Semi-circular arched coach
entry, now part blocked, has moulded architrave surround with Vermiculated
rustication blocks, and band at impost level. Above are 2 round windows in
reeded surrounds with cermiculated keys, also with band. Clock in similar
roundel in gable. Arched bellcote with moulded cornice, semi-circular gable,
ball finial and weathervane. Flanking 2-storey stable wings are each of 3 bays,
with plinths, first floor band courses, and chamfered quoins. Each wing has
central doorway, tall flanking windows, and shorter first floor windows, all in
flush stone surrounds with keyblocks. Lower openings have segmental arches,
upper flat arches. Rear is more irregular, with restored surrounds to windows,
and lunette in central gable.
(Illustrated on trade card of R. Pace and Son, Bodleian Library: MS Eng. Hist.
c.298)


Listing NGR: SP2407804539

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.