This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7299 / 51°43'47"N
Longitude: -1.4262 / 1°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 439728
OS Northings: 203624
OS Grid: SP397036
Mapcode National: GBR 6WG.D89
Mapcode Global: VHC09.7SD6
Plus Code: 9C3WPHHF+XG
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367885
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252343
Location: Standlake, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Standlake
Built-Up Area: Standlake
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Standlake
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STANDLAKE CHURCH END
SP3903 (West side)
23/259 Church of St. Giles
Church. Late C12, remodelled and transepts added in mid C13; north aisle
remodelled in early C14; C14 west tower; C15 clerestory to north; restored
1880-91 by C.C. Rolfe. Coursed limestone, rubble and squared; gabled C20 tile
roof, and lead transept roofs. Cruciform plan with aisled nave and octagonal
west tower. Chancel has mid C13 short clasping buttresses, and string course
forming hoods over 3 grouped lancets to east; south side has 2 early C14
three-light windows, a blocked C15 four-light window above, mid C13 pointed
chamfered door with hood, and C13 tomb recess with stiff-leaf capitals to
slender shafts; north side has string course forming hoods over 2 mid C13
lancets flanking blocked early C14 curvilinear 3-light window blocked C12
round-headed door with hood and incised imposts and moulding. North transept has
string course forming hoods over 2 mid C13 lancets to east and one to west; C19
door; early C14 curvilinear 3-light north window; blocked late C13 archway to
former (demolished) east chapel. North aisle of c.1300 has three 3-light
trefoil-headed windows, short buttresses, pointed moulded door and 2-light west
window with quatrefoil head. South transept has C13 short corner and wall
buttresses, a C15 two-light Perpendicular window set in blocked archway to
former east chapel, early C14 three-light intersecting traceried south window
and late C13 two-light trefoil-headed west window. South aisle has three 3-light
trefoil-headed windows, late C19 south door and C14 porch with double-chamfered
doorway, and C15 Perpendicular 4-light west window. C15 clerestory has partly
restored C15 two-light cinquefoil-headed windows. C14 three-stage octagonal west
tower: offset corner buttresses; slit-lights to south stair-turret;
square-headed lancets; ogee-pierced parapet and ribbed spire. Interior: C15
sedilia, under window, with carved arm rests; C19 piscina; restored late C12
Transitional chancel arch. Mid C13 double-chamfered transept arches with
stiff-leaf (south) and bell (north) capitals. South transept has cusped
rere-arch to south and late C19 pulpit with canopy. 4-bay late C12 Transitional
south arcade: double-chamfered pointed arches, set on round piers to centre.
4-bay north arcade rebuilt early C14, with double-chamfered arches set on
octagonal piers with corbel head. Similar corbel heads to inner order of
double-chamfered archway to north chapel. Carved reset fragments at west end of
south aisle, of 2 ecclesiastics and a Norman chevron moulding. Late C12 doorway
to tower. Roofs: C15 aisle roofs with quartered and moulded beams; fine chancel
roof in East Anglian style. Fittings: pulpit, font cover, altar, bench ends and
stalls carved by Harry Hems of Exeter in 1880's. Monuments: north aisle has
pedimented stale-shaped wall tablet to Walter Strickland, d.1839, by J.J.
Sanders, and draped wall tablet with urn to Frances Strickland, d.1836, also by
Sanders. North transept has cartouche to Susanah Couch, d.1715. South aisle wall
tablets to Elizabeth Western d.1804; and Maximilian Western of Cokethrope
Hall), d.1795, by P. Rouw the younger, with bracketed and shaped pediment.
Stained glass: late C19 including work by Burlison and Grylls: in west window of
south transept, including some C14 white foliage designs.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.776-778; National Monuments Record:
Bodleian Library, Oxford, M.S. Top, Oxon, especially for early C19 drawings by
Hinton and Buckler).
Listing NGR: SP3972803624
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings