This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6559 / 51°39'21"N
Longitude: -1.2103 / 1°12'37"W
OS Eastings: 454722
OS Northings: 195528
OS Grid: SU547955
Mapcode National: GBR 90C.0TZ
Mapcode Global: VHCY7.ZM0Y
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368837
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248803
Location: Clifton Hampden, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Clifton Hampden
Built-Up Area: Clifton Hampden
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Clifton Hampden
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CLIFTON HAMPDEN HIGH STREET
SU5495 (South side)
11/18 Church of St. Michael and All
Church. C13 origins, rebuilding and restoration in 1843-4 by Sir Gilbert Scott
for Henry Hucks Gibbs, chancel refitted 1864, probably by Scott; reredos and
retable of 1873 by Charles Buckeridge. Stone uncoursed rubble; stone slate roof.
4-bay nave with north and south aisles, 2-bay chancel. Early English style.
Porch left of centre of south aisle, with panelled double doors to 2-centred
doorway and plank inner door with C19 decorative hinges. Lancet to left. Paired
lancet to right of centre. Paired lancet to right with flat hood mould. 2-liqht
reticulated tracery window to left of chancel, trefoil lancet to right. Flat
roofed dormer with 4-light wood mullion window to centre of south aisle roof.
Stone octagonal bellcote with stone spire to gable end to left. East end:
3-light geometrical tracery window to nave, 2-light Y-tracery window to north
aisle. North side: 2-centre arched doorway and ribbed door to left. 4 two-light
reticulated tracery windows. Lancet to left of centre. Flat roofed dormer with
4-light wood mullion window to centre of north aisle roof. West end: 2-light
Y-tracery window to north aisle, 2 lancets to end of nave and lancet to end of
south aisle. Interior: nave and chancel have arch-braced collar-truss roof of 6
bays with windbraces. Lean-to roof to south aisle. Scissor-braced roof to north
aisle. Reredos and retable have mosaics by Clayton and Bell. Sedilia to right of
chancel. Monument to George Henry Gibbs to left: recumbent figure in prayer with
quatrefoil panels to base, and cusped ogee arch over. East window by Clayton and
Bell. C19 brass communion rail. C19 choir stalls and organ screen. Chancel
screen has wooden quatrefoil panelled base with integral pulpit: painted and
gilded wrought iron and brass top forming arcade with cusping of iron scrolls
and flowers. Nave south arcade: four 2-centre arches with continuous mouldings.
Nave south arcade: four 2-centre arches on round columns. C19 square stone font
on grouped columns, basin has richly carved frieze. C19 candelabra and early C20
sanctuary light to chancel. History: the 1843 restoration and later work was
paid for by Henry Hucks Gibbs from a fund left by G.J. Gibbs.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.549-50; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7,
Listing NGR: SU5472295528
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings