This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6732 / 51°40'23"N
Longitude: -0.9673 / 0°58'2"W
OS Eastings: 471506
OS Northings: 197659
OS Grid: SU715976
Mapcode National: GBR C34.27Z
Mapcode Global: VHDVV.56ZP
Entry Name: Church Farm, Barn Approximately 30 Metres East South East of Farmhouse (Not Included)
Listing Date: 19 November 1976
Last Amended: 3 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368861
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248940
Location: Lewknor, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Lewknor
Built-Up Area: Lewknor
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Lewknor
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
LEWKNOR CHURCH ROAD
SU7197 (East side)
10/94 Church Farm, barn approx. 30m.
19/11/76 ESE of farmhouse (not included)
(Formerly listed as The Old
Barn at Church Farm)
House, now barn. Mid/late C14. C20 weatherboarding over heavy timber framing on
brick base; half-hipped roof, old tiles to left and C20 tiles to right. Aisled
3-bay hall. C20 plank double doors. Interior: left end wall has 8 panels of
which top 4 are cusped. Left truss: arch braces from wall to tie beam were reset
to centre when aisle posts were inserted to support long tie beam; queen-post
truss with tension-braced collar and arch braces to tie: arch-braced collar
above with clasped purlins, diminishing principals and wind braces. Right spere
truss: of similar construction, but lower aisled part has arch-braced aisle
posts flanked by trefoil-cusped aisles. Probably built by John de Lewknor, who
rebuilt the east end of the church (q.v.) in the Decorated style c.1320-40.
Church Farm was acquired by All Souls College from Abingdon Abbey in 1340.
Morrey and Smith date the barn to between 1350 and 1440.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.684; J.M. Fletcher, The Medieval Hall at
Lewknor; Oxonensia, Vol.40 (1975); M.C.J. Morrey and J.T. Smith, The Great Barn
Lewknor, the architectural evidence; Oxonensia, Vol.38 (1973), pp.339-349; Eric
Mercer, English Vernacular Houses, 1975, p.194; National Monuments Record).
Listing NGR: SU7150297654
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings