This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6177 / 51°37'3"N
Longitude: -1.0678 / 1°4'4"W
OS Eastings: 464636
OS Northings: 191394
OS Grid: SU646913
Mapcode National: GBR B28.DW4
Mapcode Global: VHCYJ.FLVR
Entry Name: God's Place and lobby to Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 28 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247807
Location: Ewelme, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Ewelme
Built-Up Area: Benson
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ewelme
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HIGH STREET(North side)
God's Place, and lobby to Church of St. Mary
(Formerly listed as Almshouses)
Almshouse. c.1437. Uncoursed limestone rubble; old plain-tile roof; brick lateral stacks. Courtyard plan. Single storey and attic; five-window range. Projecting red brick porch to right of centre with crow-stepped cross-gable; arched doorway in taller lancet surround with trefoil top.
Irregular fenestration mostly of two-light wood casements. Two-light stone mullioned window to cross-gable to left. Three gabled dormers. Central square cloistered courtyard. Internal wall; timber frame with brick infill. Outer wall has red brick base with open timber-framed arcade above supporting lean-to roof. The centre of each side of courtyard has Tudor-arched doorway with three trefoil-topped wood lancets above and cross-gable with ornamental carved barge boards.
The plan has eleven dwellings of one ground floor room and upstairs room arranged round three sides with probably former warden's accommodation to fourth side. Each dwelling has lateral stack to external wall.
Lobby to church: Tudor arches to doorways to four sides. Carved shields supported by angel heads above.
History: The licence to establish the almshouse was granted in 1437 and the foundation was probably complete by 1442, at the expense of the Earl and Countess of Suffolk. The countess (nee Alice Chaucer) was born in Ewelme in 1409, the daughter of Thomas Chaucer, the lord of the manor, and grand-daughter of Geoffrey, the poet. She married William de la Pole, Earl of Suffolk in 1420 (created Duke of Suffolk 1448). He "for love of his wife and the commodity of her lands felt much to dwell in Oxfordshire." They rebuilt the church, established the almshouse and built the school. The use of brick, on the porch, the infill of the cloister walls, etc, is one of the earliest in the county.
(Malcolm Airs "Ewelme" Archaeological Journal Vol.135, 1978, pp.275-280j
Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.595-600;
Guide to St. Mary's Church, Ewelme, and to the Almshouse and the School, 1980).
Listing NGR: SU6463391404
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings