This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6174 / 51°37'2"N
Longitude: -1.0684 / 1°4'6"W
OS Eastings: 464598
OS Northings: 191360
OS Grid: SU645913
Mapcode National: GBR B28.DQV
Mapcode Global: VHCYJ.FLKZ
Entry Name: Ewelme Church of England Primary School
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 28 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369062
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247803
Location: Ewelme, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Ewelme
Built-Up Area: Benson
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ewelme
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HIGH STREET (North side)
Ewelme Church of England Primary School
(Formerly listed as School)
School. c.1450. Knapped flint base; red brick; old plain-tile roof; brick lateral stacks. two-storey, three-window range.
C15 double door with Perpendicular tracery pattern ribbing and studding to two-storey porch to left return. Stepped angle buttresses to left and right corners. two-light stone mullioned window with trangular cusped tracery top to left. Single-light stone window with triangular cusped tracery top to right. Two two-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulds with winged figures and armorial shields to label stops to centre. Two-light stone mullioned window to first floor centre and left. Single-light stone window to right. Massive lateral stacks to left and right of centre. Two-light stone mullioned window to first floor of porch to left return.
Interior: six-bay arched collar-truss roof with wind braces.
Subsidiary wing to rear left; red brick base; limestone rubble to first floor. C20 window openings.
History: Built at the expense of the Earl and Countess of Suffolk. The countess (nee Alice Chaucer) was born in Ewelme in 1400, the daughter of Thomas Chaucer, the lord of the manor, and grand-daughter of Geoffrey, the poet. She married William de la Pole, Earl of Suffolk in 1430 (created Duke of Suffolk 1448). He "for love of his wife and the commodity of her lands felt much to dwell in Oxfordshire". They rebuilt the church, established the adjoining almshouse and built the school. The use of brick is one of the earliest in the county.
(Malcolm Airs "Ewelme" Archaeological Journal, Vol.135, 1978, pp.275-280; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.595-600; Guide to St. Mary's Church, Ewelme, and to the Almshouses and the School)
Listing NGR: SU6459691365
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings