History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Waterperry House and Attached Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Waterperry with Thomley, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7517 / 51°45'6"N

Longitude: -1.0897 / 1°5'22"W

OS Eastings: 462935

OS Northings: 206286

OS Grid: SP629062

Mapcode National: GBR B0P.1BL

Mapcode Global: VHCXY.278G

Entry Name: Waterperry House and Attached Wall

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 5 June 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369255

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246721

Location: Waterperry with Thomley, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Waterperry with Thomley

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Waterperry

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

6/201 Waterperry House and attached
18/07/63 wall
(Formerly listed as Waterperry
Horticultural School)


Mansion, now college. c.1713 for Sir John Curson, incorporating late C17 wing:
altered c.1820 for Henley family. Stucco with limestone ashlar dressings; brick;
squared coursed limestone rubble; Welsh-slate and old plain-tile roofs.
Double-depth plan with U-plan rear wing. 3 storeys with 2-storey rear wing. Main
block, with heavy cornice, balustraded parapet and projecting quoins, has
7-window front, the central bay breaking forward slightly, with a large
Ionic-mullioned Venetian window at first floor above an Ionic tetrastyle
balustraded portico beneath which is a double-leaf 6-panel door flanked by
narrow lights set in chamfered rustication. 6-window return walls have central 2
bays breaking forward, more prominently to left. Rear wall includes a 3-storey
bowed section in English-bond brickwork. Tiled hipped roof. Service range to
rear incorporates the earlier rubble house, facing to right, which has a central
6-panel door and short projecting wings at each end of the range, that to left
further extended and incorporating a stone arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders
which may be C14. At first floor in the front and wings are leaded wood-framed
cross windows, and the rear has rows of similar windows on both floors. Left
wing has stucco oval set between 4 fleurs-de-lys which contains the date 1705.
Hipped roof (which is slated at the front and tiled elsewhere, has a ridge stack
to right of centre and a stack on the flush rear gable of the left wing which
originally extended to the rear). Rear hopper head is dated 1799. Interior: Main
block has columned hall leading to stair hall containing late C18/early C19
open-well stair with ramped and wreathed handrail; arched window contains
mostly-continental C16 and C17 painted glass. Back stair has late C17 twisted
balusters and ramped handrail, probably a C18 re-arrangement. Early c18 panelled
room has blocked arched doorway flanked by fluted pilasters supporting an
entablature incorporating the dentil cornice. C17 wing has large internal stack
and butt-purlin roof. Brick and rubble wall runs from rear wing to Church of St.
Mary (q.v.).
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.296; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire. p,828),

Listing NGR: SP6293706283

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.