This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0708 / 52°4'14"N
Longitude: -1.3764 / 1°22'35"W
OS Eastings: 442837
OS Northings: 241564
OS Grid: SP428415
Mapcode National: GBR 7SS.0V0
Mapcode Global: VHCW7.365V
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369591
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244558
Location: Drayton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Drayton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Drayton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
DRAYTON STRATFORD ROAD
11/2 Church of St. Peter
Small church. Mainly C14. Tower rebuilt 1808. Repairs 1822 and 1826. Restoration
1877-8 by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon including building of south vestry. Ironstone
ashlar. Chancel has stone slate roof laid to diminishing courses. Nave and tower
have slate roofs. Chancel has red ornamental ridge tiles. Crosses on nave and
chancel. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Mostly Decorated style with
Perpendicular clerestory. Chancel. 3-light east window with reticulated tracery.
2 north windows of 2-lights including a paired lancet and another with traceried
heads. Similar south window. North aisle has simple stone porch with pointed
arched doorway and slate roof. Plank door. North aisle windows include paired
lancets, a 3-light window with Intersecting tracery and a 3-light window with
Curvilinear tracery. Gabled south porch has a pointed arched doorway and plank
door. Renewed slate roof. Re-used Romanesque Priest's door on right has round
arched head and plank door. South aisle windows include a 3-light Geometrical
east window, two 2-light paired lancets with trefoiled heads, pointed arched
hoodmoulds with carved headstops and another similar square headed window.
clerestory has three 2-light Perpendicular windows. Parapet. C19 west tower of 3
stages. Hipped slate roof. Early English style lancets, one with dog tooth
decoration. Bands to 1st and 2nd stages. East elevation of chancel has two
exterior wall memorials to the Jackman family dated 1643, 1662 and 1672.
Interior. Piscinas in chancel and south aisle. Decorated 3 seat sedilia in south
aisle. C19 roofs to chancel and nave. 3-bay nave arcades, with octagonal piers
and moulded capitals, that opposite south door has carving with head and
interlaced arms. C19 pulpit with inserted C17 panels. Stone chest tomb in
vestry. R. Lodowick Grevil of Drayton, 1441. Several C17 memorials to rectors of
the Parish. Arched tomb recess in north aisle. Plain tub-shaped font.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p587; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol. IX, p110)
Listing NGR: SP4283741564
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings