This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8291 / 51°49'44"N
Longitude: -1.1995 / 1°11'58"W
OS Eastings: 455260
OS Northings: 214801
OS Grid: SP552148
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y7.9JY
Mapcode Global: VHCXH.5974
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369717
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243368
Location: Oddington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX5
Civil Parish: Oddington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oddington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
7/126 Church of St. Andrew
Church, C13, C14/C15, restored and altered 1889 by E.G. Brutons Limestone rubble
with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof. Chancel, nave, north aisle, north
chapel, south porch and west tower. Chancel is mostly C14/C15 and has a square
headed 2-light C15 window with Perpendicular tracery in the south wall, taken
from the north wall to replace a similar window of which the tracery survives
inside the church; 3-light Perpendicular-style east window is C19. Chapel, to
north, is C19 but is on earlier foundations. Grouped lancets in the nave and the
north aisle are C19 but parts of the walls are medieval; western lancet of aisle
is C13. Porch is partly medieval and has an outer arch with continuous
mouldings, and shelters a C13 doorway with a roll-moulded arch and a pair of
detached shafts. 2-stage C13 tower has a cusped-lancet west window and, at
bell-chamber stage, paired lancet openings below arched hood moulds; tiled
pyramidal roof. Interior: chancel has a small C14 cusped piscina and an aumbry.
Chancel arch, chapel arch and most of the 3-bay nave arcade are C19, but the
westernmost arch and parts of its respond and pier contain stones, discovered
during alterations, bearing traces of medieval painting. The small arch from the
north aisle to the north chapel is medieval. Simple unchamfered C13 tower arch.
Chancel and nave have C19 crown post roofs. Fittings include a communion table
of 1637, some C16/C17 bench pews plus C19 copies, a panelled oak pulpit dated
1617, and a C17 oak chest. A brass of c.1500 shows Ralph Hamsterley, Rector
1499-1508, in a worm-infested shroud. The plain tub font retains a medieval
staple and has a fine Arts and Crafts cover of 1920. An ancient pole ladder
stands below the tower. During the incumbency of Dr. S.H. Scott (1915-49) the
church was equipped with Flemish brass chandeliers and numerous copies of
Italian paintings, plus many other fine furnishings and some stained glass.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.284; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.730;
Oxoniensia, Vol.40, pp.328-9; "0ddington Church" (guidebook), 1977).
Listing NGR: SP5526014801
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings