History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory, Halton House and Attached Walls and Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Charlton-on-Otmoor, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8382 / 51°50'17"N

Longitude: -1.1848 / 1°11'5"W

OS Eastings: 456264

OS Northings: 215822

OS Grid: SP562158

Mapcode National: GBR 8Y2.M9J

Mapcode Global: VHCXH.F205

Entry Name: The Old Rectory, Halton House and Attached Walls and Piers

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Last Amended: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370049

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243254

Location: Charlton-on-Otmoor, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX5

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Charlton-on-Otmoor

Built-Up Area: Charlton-on-Otmoor

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Charlton-on-Otmoor

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Weston on the Green

Listing Text

CHARLTON ON OTMOOR MAIN STREET
SP5615 (South side)
11/17 The Old Rectory, Halton House
26/11/51 and attached walls and piers
(Formerly listed as Rectory)
GV II
Rectory, now 2 houses. 1689 for Dr. Halton; altered and enlarged c.1805 for
Revd. John Knipe. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh-slate
roofs with brick stacks. L-plan, much extended. 2 storeys plus attic.
Architectural front, facing garden, has a 2-storey service range projecting from
extreme left of the C17 section; to extreme right is a regular 5-window section
with 12-pane sashes above tall casements and, its central bay, a tripartite sash
above an added stone porch, (dated 1856), with pilasters and a cornice; earliest
section retains, at first floor, three 2-light stone-mullioned windows with
Classical architraves and moulded sills, and at ground floor has a blocked
doorway between 3-light mullioned windows, the right window complete with 2
early casements, the left window without its mullions and containing a later
4-light casement. Rear and left gable wall of C17 section have further
stone-mullioned windows of one and 2 lights, fitted with sashes and all with
damaged architraves; gable shows original roofline, raised to align with roof of
later section. Rear of later range has a double-gabled rear wing with an arched
stair window, and a projecting porch containing a panelled door in a
stone-architraved doorway framed by Tuscan pilasters and a large triangular
pediment. Interior: earlier range has stop-chamfered cross beams, a winder
stair, and some old doors. Stone-coped rubble walls approximately 2.5 metres
high extend between ashlar piers, approximately 40 metres to east and 15 metres
to west of the porch, returning down Otmoor Lane for approximately 35 metres.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.IV, p.81; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.530
and 936).


Listing NGR: SP5626415822

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.