History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.0124 / 53°0'44"N

Longitude: -0.9604 / 0°57'37"W

OS Eastings: 469848

OS Northings: 346625

OS Grid: SK698466

Mapcode National: GBR BKW.40S

Mapcode Global: WHFHT.6JYZ

Plus Code: 9C5X226Q+XV

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370181

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242021

Location: Hoveringham, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG14

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Hoveringham

Built-Up Area: Hoveringham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Hoveringham

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in


SK 64 NE
(south side)
Church of
St. Michael
Parish church. C12 tympanum, rebuilt 1865 by William Knight of
Nottingham. Red brick with some yellow brick and ashlar
dressings. Concrete pantile and plain tile roofs with coped
gable to nave and turret. Single ridge cross to turret.
Dogtooth eaves band. Nave with west turret, north porch, south
vestry and chancel. Buttressed and set on a chamfered plinth.
Gabled turret with arch containing bell. The arched west window
has 4 arched and cusped lights with plate tracery, flanked by
single slim columns with dogtooth hood mould over. Either side
are single round tie plates. Above is a single oval recessed
blind panel with dogtooth hood mould. Gabled half timbered porch
with single decorative iron ridge cross and open wooden traceried
panels. The inner doorway has C12 arched tympanum over,
decorated with St. Michael, 2 dragons, the Agnus Dei, and further
figures and beasts. To the left of the porch are 3 arched
windows each with 2 arched lights, plate tracery and dogtooth
hood mould. The north chancel wall has a single arched and
cusped light with plate tracery and dogtooth hood mould. The
canted east end has a single similar window in each wall. The
south chancel wall has a single similar window. The east wall of
the vestry has a pointed arched doorway with plank door and
dogtooth hood mould. The south vestry wall has a single arched
light with dogtooth hood mould. The south nave has 4 windows
each with 2 arched lights, plate tracery and dogtooth hood mould.
Interior. Double chamfered chancel arch with polychromatic brick
work and dogtooth hood mould. The inner chamfer supported on
acanthus decorated capitals in turn supported on single corbels
with carved human head under. All the windows are flanked by
single slim columns and have dogtooth hood moulds, with similar
hood moulds over the doorways. C12 font, the base decorated with
zigzag and standing on C19 plinth. Remaining furniture C19.
There is a c.1403 alabaster monument to Sir Robert Goushill and
his wife Elizabeth Fitzalan. The sides of the tomb are decorated
with shields set into quatrefoil panels, it is surmounted by an
effigy of a Knight in armour and lying behind an effigy of a
Lady. In the north wall is the remains of a C14 coffin lid
decorated with a stylised cross.

Listing NGR: SK6984846625

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.