This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1878 / 53°11'16"N
Longitude: -0.9976 / 0°59'51"W
OS Eastings: 467074
OS Northings: 366100
OS Grid: SK670661
Mapcode National: GBR 9GD.0MH
Mapcode Global: WHFH0.N44J
Plus Code: 9C5X52Q2+4W
Entry Name: Church of St Swithin
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370185
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241951
Location: Wellow, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Wellow
Built-Up Area: Wellow
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wellow
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 66 NE
Potter Lane (west side)
Church of St. Swithin
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, restored 1878 by Ewan Christian and 1968. Coursed dressed stone with plain tile and slate roofs. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinths, chamfered eaves, coped gables with crosses. South west tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south aisle, south porch.
Tower: C12, C13, C15, three stages, has two string courses, dentillated top band, coved eaves with an off-centre gargoyle on each side, crenellated parapet with four crocketed pinnacles. Four buttresses, three setoffs, those to east engaged with aisle and nave. First stage has to south, square blank recess. To west, restored C13 door with hood mould. Second stage, has to west, chamfered C13 lancet and clock. Third stage has four plain chamfered louvred double lancets.
Nave: C14, three bays, has at west end triple lancet with ogee heads, Decorated tracery and hood mould. North side has a buttress at each end, two setoffs. To east, restored early C14 double lancet with cusped heads and hood mould, and to west, single C13 chamfered lancet.
Chancel: 1878, three bays, has buttress to north east and to north, three trefoil headed lancets. East end has triple lancet with cusped geometrical tracery.
Vestry: to south, has to east, chamfered shouldered doorway. South side has off-centre chamfered projection and five slit lights.
South aisle: C14, restored, has buttress to south east, two setoffs. East end has C14 double lancet with Y tracery, and above, C19 trefoil window. South side has central C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery.
North porch: C19 in C13 style, has two flanking buttresses and coped gable. Chamfered doorway with octagonal responds, bases and capitals, and hood mould. On each side, a chamfered lancet.
Interior has a timber bench and common rafter roof with collars. Inner doorway, C19, double chamfered and rebated with hood mould. Nave south arcade, C14. Three bays, with single octagonal pier and matching responds with moulded bases and capitals, plus pseudo pier to west. Chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and central mask stop. C19 sill bands. C19 principal rafter roof with arch braces. South aisle has to west, tower arch, C13, restored, with double chamfer and rebate and octagonal responds. Moulded sill bands. East window has stained glass by Kempe, 1878. Trefoil window above has stained glass. C19 common rafter roof with collars. Chancel arch, C13, restored, has chamfer and rebate plus filleted roll mould. Hood mould with stops. Imposts are moulded corbels carrying 2 short shafts. Timber screen, Perpendicular style, late C19, with pair of wrought iron gates. Chancel has moulded sill bands. East end has C19 timber reredos and gradine, and window with stained glass, C19. South side has to east C13 style piscina. To west, opening to organ chamber. Common rafter roof with collars and cusped arch braces. Fittings include panelled octagonal ashlar font and pulpit, C19. C19 benches, stalls and desks. C20 lectern.
Monuments include Egyptian style tablet with rose in low relief, by Edwin Smith to Elizabeth Peel, 1851. Benefactions board, C19. Two war memorial tablets. Brass, 1871.
Listing NGR: SK6707466100
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings