This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1691 / 55°10'8"N
Longitude: -1.8612 / 1°51'40"W
OS Eastings: 408937
OS Northings: 586092
OS Grid: NZ089860
Mapcode National: GBR H8FN.VV
Mapcode Global: WHC2N.CBYN
Entry Name: Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Last Amended: 30 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371032
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238271
Location: Hartburn, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Hartburn
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Hartburn with Meldon
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 08 NE
9/35 Old Vicarage
(previously listed as
Former vicarage, now 2 houses. North wing medieval, main block probably C16,
south-east wing mid-C18; remodelled early C19. North wing coursed rubble,
main block heavy rubble heightened in coursed rubble, south-east wing squared
tooled stone; slate roofs.
West front: main block 3 storeys, 6 irregular bays. C20 glazed door in former
window opening with altered sash to left and 2 12-pane sashes to right; lst
floor C20 small-paned casements in old openings, and blocked opening to left;
all openings in C18 chamfered stone surrounds. 2nd floor small 12-pane Yorkshire
sash beneath eaves, 2 similar windows to right and one to left now blocked.
Stepped and corniced ashlar end and ridge stacks. To left, projecting end of
2-storey north wing; blocked arch with shouldered segmental head and drawbar
tunnel, small chamfered window to right possibly reset, low clasping buttresses
at left angle. Coped reverse-stepped gable to right, roof hip-ended to left.
South front: gable end of main block shows early Cl9 sashes in older openings.
South-east wing 2 storeys, 3 bays, band at lst floor level. Altered door with
tall 6-pane overlight in lst bay; 12-pane sash windows. Stepped and corniced
ashlar end stacks, that to right with circular stone pot. North front: various
sash windows; medieval chamfered plinth which continues on left return. Rear
elevation; south-east wing has projecting multi-stepped stack carrying chimney
with circular stone pot.
Interior; main block, early C18 fireplace in moulded stone surround, panelled
shutters and 6-panel doors. North wing, west part ('the tower') has stone
barrel vault and old doorway with chamfered jambs, column-on-vase stairhead
The north wing is probably a C13 or C14 undefended hall house; the 2 opposed
doors indicate a passage through the solar undercroft, c.f. Burneside Hall and
Lammerside Castle (Westmorland). The thick (O.95m) walls and massive rubble
of the main block suggest a C16 date.
Listing NGR: NZ0893786092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings