This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1684 / 55°10'6"N
Longitude: -1.8598 / 1°51'35"W
OS Eastings: 409028
OS Northings: 586013
OS Grid: NZ090860
Mapcode National: GBR H8GP.43
Mapcode Global: WHC2N.DCM6
Plus Code: 9C7W549R+83
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 20 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371047
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238240
Location: Hartburn, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Hartburn
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Hartburn with Meldon
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 08 NE
9/2 Church of St. Andrew
Parish Church. Pre-Conquest core with tower and chancel rebuilt c.1200, aisles
added and chancel extended in early C13, minor later medieval alterations,
restoration 1843 and 1890. Squared stone with dressings; slate roofs except
for stone slates to south porch and boiler house. 4-bay aisled nave with west
tower and south porch, chancel,
Tower in 3 stages has moulded plinth and strings; stepped set-back buttresses.
C15 3-light west window with pierced panel tracery; wide lancets to 2nd stage,
blocked except on south; paired lancet belfry openings with octagonal column
mullions. Parapet on stepped corbels.
West aisle lancets, northern partly hidden by C19 boiler house. South aisle
wall 5 bays, north 4 bays; C19 paired lancets. Porch has C19 pointed arch set
in larger round-headed double-chamfered openings; C18 panelled double doors.
Coped gable with C18 tilted sundial as finial, small rectangular windows in
returns, stone benches. Doorway has keeled and chamfered pointed arch, with
colonnettes, bold dog tooth on hoodmould, jambs and external angles of door
projection. Clerestory on south only; 3 low 2-light mullioned windows. East
aisles lancets, to south of southern 1757 headstone affixed to wall. Massive
eastern angle quoins of Pre-conquest nave exposed, on south tooled to resemble
Chancel 3 bays. Lancets on south and low-side lancet at west end, with traces
of blocked door to right and old studded priest's door under shouldered arch.
East end has triplet of lancets. Stepped buttress bay divisions throughout.
Interior: Small doorway under round-headed window set in blocked round tower
arch, itself an insertion; remains of earlier arched doorway above. Lower
stage of tower barrel-vaulted with newel stair at north-west angle. Pointed
double-chamfered nave arcades on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and
bases; central pier on south has beaded abacus. South aisle east lancet has
elaborate shouldered rear arch. Trefoiled piscina in south aisle and smaller
piscina cut in east respond of north arcade.
Pointed chancel arch of 2 orders. Enriched trefoiled piscina, triple sedilia
and second smaller trefoiled piscina. Eastern lancets have tall ringed jamb
shafts and moulded rear arches.
C13 font: circular bowl on pillar with 3 smaller shafts. Memorials: Frosterley
marble slab in chancel with Lombardic inscription to Sir Thomas de Errington,
c.1310: C17 and C18 ledger stones; Monument to Mary Ann Bradford, d.1830,
reclining figure by F. Chantrey; other C19 memorial slabs. Carved reredos and
pulpit of Caen stone, 1890. Flags from Napoleonic War hang in chancel. Medieval
stone coffins and Jacobean almsbox in south aisle. 2 medieval bells. Over nave
arcades several re-used voussoirs with incised saltire crosses similar to those
of C8 west doorway at Corbridge.
Listing NGR: NZ0902186015
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 8 February 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings