This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1818 / 52°10'54"N
Longitude: -0.8653 / 0°51'55"W
OS Eastings: 477676
OS Northings: 254330
OS Grid: SP776543
Mapcode National: GBR BX2.424
Mapcode Global: VHDSC.YFD9
Plus Code: 9C4X54JM+PV
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 3 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371303
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235562
Location: Quinton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Quinton
Built-Up Area: Quinton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Quinton and Preston Deanery St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
19/162 Church of St. John the Baptist
Church. C13 and C15 with late Norman origins. Porch and chancel of 1801.
Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower. Coursed squared
limestone and ironstone, with ironstone dressings, limestone ashlar to chancel
and porch; lead, slate and plain-tile roofs. 2-bay chancel. First bay is
windowless and wider than east end, which has rounded corners and similar
flattened curve to heads of windows. These have key blocks and leaded crown
glass panes to south and north chancel windows. East window has keyblock
inscribed DEO. Ironstone plinth, hollow-chamfered cornice, plain stone-coped
parapet and hipped slate roof. Roof-line of original chancel roof with steep
pitch on east gable wall of nave. Nave has Perpendicular clerestory of 3 windows
to south and 2 windows to north, all of 2-lights, with 4-centred heads,
trefoil-headed lights and hood moulds; plain stone-coped parapets. Roof-line and
blocked arch to north-east of former transeptal chapel. Arch blocked by wide
offset buttress. Blocked, moulded trefoil-headed piscina to east side of arch
and blocked entry above to gallery of former rood screen. Chamfered north
doorway with studded plank door. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular windows,
all with 4-centred heads and hood moulds and plain stone-coped parapet.
Hollow-chamfered south doorway with studded plank door. Porch has wider, shallow
inner bay and entrance bay with rounded corners and stepped and hollow-chamfered
doorway. Stone above doorway inscribed POPULO. Stone-coped parapet and pyramidal
slate Roof with small ball finial. 3-stage tower has 2-light C13 bell-chamber
windows with blank quatrefoils to heads and hood moulds and 2-light
Perpendicular bell-chamber openings above with 4-centred heads and hood moulds.
Low off-set angle buttresses, battlemented parapet and pyramidal slate roof with
weather-vane to apex. Interior: double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal
responds. Nave has 3-bay arcade with circular piers, keeled responds, moulded
bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches. Aisle has cinquefoil-headed
piscina. Double-chamfered tower arch dying into walls. Small lancet window
above, now internal, with deep splay. Plaster ceilings to nave and chancel.
Chamfered cambered tie-beams to aisle roof. C18 baluster font. Polygonal pulpit
of c.1800 with inlay panels, Chancel and porch were rebuilt during the
incumbency of Edward Bayley, who rebuilt the Rectory (q.v. Old Rectory) at the
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp380-381; VCH: Northamptonshire:
1937, Vol IV, p283).
Listing NGR: SP7767654330
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings