This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1937 / 52°11'37"N
Longitude: -0.848 / 0°50'52"W
OS Eastings: 478842
OS Northings: 255679
OS Grid: SP788556
Mapcode National: GBR BWX.GFF
Mapcode Global: VHDSD.8423
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 3 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041557
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235521
Location: Hackleton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Hackleton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Quinton and Preston Deanery St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
HACKLETON PRESTON DEANERY
4/121 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. C12, repaired c.1622; chancel repaired and altered 1808 and again in
1854 by E.F. Law. Coursed limestone rubble with ironstone dressings; slate
roofs. Chancel, nave and west tower. Chancel has 3-light east window with C19
Perpendicular tracery, set in larger round-arched opening with keyblock.
Datestone above inscribed "CN/1808". Blocked chamfered Tudor-arched door to
north and 2-light chamfered stone mullion window to north-west at high level
with hood mould. South side of chancel has central 3-light arched mullion window
with hood mould, blocked pointed arched window immediately to right, blocked
1-light low-side window to far left with pointed trefoil-headed light and
transom, and blocked chamfered priest's door with round-arched head. Nave has
4-light arched mullion window to north with hood mould, chamfered Tudor-arched
south door with hood mould flanked by similar 2-light windows, all probably
dating from C17 repairs. Tower has pilaster buttresses to middle of each side.
Blocked door to left of buttress to north with round-arched head and pointed
trefoil-headed piscina to far left. Small round-arched windows to middle stage
and 2-light bell-chamber openings with quatrefoils to heads except for east side
which has original 1-light round-arched openings either side of buttress.
Battlemented parapet. Off-set buttresses flank east window and chancel has
chamfered stone eaves. Interior: chancel has simple sedilia, piscina and aumbry.
Unmoulded round-headed chancel arch with carved imposts. Tall narrow
round-headed tower arch with moulded imposts, with similar wider inner arch.
Font is inset in north pier of tower arch and has polygonal stem and bowl. 2
hatchments, oil on canvas. Brass to Clement Edmonds, d.1622 and his wife Mary.
Standing wall monument signed H. Cox to Elizabeth wife of Purbeck Langham who
died 1736. Plinth has plain pilasters to angles. Inscription is flanked by
fluted Doric pilasters bearing triglyph frieze and broken pediment flanked by
lamp finials and framing gadrooned urn with cartouche of arms to base and gilded
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p379; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol
IV, 1937, p281)
Listing NGR: SP7884255679
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings