This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1678 / 52°10'3"N
Longitude: -1.11 / 1°6'35"W
OS Eastings: 460970
OS Northings: 252539
OS Grid: SP609525
Mapcode National: GBR 9VM.25V
Mapcode Global: VHCVS.QS22
Plus Code: 9C4W5V9R+42
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235112
Location: Maidford, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
Civil Parish: Maidford
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Maidford St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
MAIDFORD CHURCH LANE
SP65SW (East side)
2/93 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. C13 and C14, restored 1879; south porch of 1883, organ chamber of 1889.
Coursed squared ironstone, slate roof to nave and organ chamber, copper roof to
south aisle, otherwise plain-tile roofs. Nave, chancel, organ chamber, nave,
south aisle, south porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light Decorated east
window with hood mould. Blocked door to south and 2-light Decorated south window
with hood mould; also small blocked window or reset piscina with cusped
ogee-arched head. Two offset buttresses to south, chamfered plinth to east end
and stone-coped gable with kneelers. Organ chamber to north has pair of cusped
one-light windows on north side. Nave has blocked north door with large stone
lintel and keyblock on imposts. 2-light Decorated windows to north with hood
moulds. 4-window clerestory to south with 2-light leaded casement windows to
south-east and south-west (with timber lintels) either side of pair of one-light
leaded windows with chamfered stone surrounds. Two buttresses to north and plain
stone-coped parapets. South aisle has-3-light Decorated east window with hood
mould with renewed tracery and ogee-moulded surround. 2-light straight-headed
windows to south with ogee-arched heads and ogee-moulded surrounds. South door
has double sunk quadrant mouldings in porch of 1883 with red sandstone
dressings. Diagonal buttresses, chamfered plinth and hollow-chamfered stone
eaves; stone-coped half-gables. 3-stage west tower has west door with sunk
quadrant-moulded jambs, chamfered head and hood mould. Small lancet windows to
west of middle stage and to gables of saddleback roof. 2-light bell-openings
with Y-tracery and hood moulds. Plain stone-coped parapets to north and south
and diagonal buttresses. Interior: chancel has piscina with crocketed nodding
ogee-arched head. Dado to sanctuary of cut-down C18 panels with 2 cut-down early
C17 carved panels and C15 tracery heads probably part of former screenwork. Two
image brackets flank east window. C18 communion rail with turned balusters.
Simple Perpendicular pews in chancel from Eydon Church (Pevsner). ,Nave has 3-bay
south arcade with octagonal piers and polygonal responds, capitals and
double-chamfered arches. South aisle has ogee-arched piscina. Triple-chamfered
tower arch dying into plain chamfered piers. C19 roofs throughout. C19 stained
glass east window to chancel and aisle. Royal arms of George III oil on board;
painted by J. Collins, 1813. Commandment Board, oil on canvas, in tower.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.301; Kelly's Directory for
Listing NGR: SP6097052539
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings