History in Structure

Ashton Chapel and Attached School Room and School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashton, North Northamptonshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4828 / 52°28'57"N

Longitude: -0.4477 / 0°26'51"W

OS Eastings: 505514

OS Northings: 288337

OS Grid: TL055883

Mapcode National: GBR FXY.7NH

Mapcode Global: VHFNJ.6V6L

Plus Code: 9C4XFHM2+4W

Entry Name: Ashton Chapel and Attached School Room and School House

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 24 February 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232557

ID on this website: 101371948

Location: Ashton, North Northamptonshire, PE8

County: North Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Ashton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Oundlew Ashton

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Tagged with: Chapel

Find accommodation in


In the entry for:
18/2 Chapel of St Mary Magdalene
and attached School Room and
23/05/67 School House
(Formerly listed as St Mary
Magdalene Church) )
The entry shall be amended to read;
18/2 Ashton Chapel
and attached School Room and
23/05/67 School House
(Formerly listed as St Mary
Magdalene Church)


18/2 Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene
23/05/67 and attached School Room and
School House
(Formerly listed as St. Mary
Magdalene Church)

Chapel, school room and school house. c.1706 for Creed family trust. Extended
and restored C19. Squared coursed limestone with Welsh slate roof. Originally
single unit chapel and school room, with house, now forming an irregular L-shape
range. 2-storey house and school room and single story-chapel. West elevation of
chapel is the gable end of the range. Central, 6 panel, Gothick style door has
arch head with some fielded panelling. Plain stone surround with a square outer
surround consisting of a 3-shaft cluster, the bases of which may be reused
medieval masonry. 3-light, stone mullion window, above, has semi-circular head
and arch-head lights. Flanking scroll decoration. 2-stage clasping buttresses at
corners. Flight of 2 steps to door. Chamfered plinth and ashlar gable parapets
and kneelers. Bellcote at apex of gable has weathervane dated 1706. South
elevation is a 4-window range of 2-light arch-head windows with arch-head
lights. Chamfered plinth and coved cornice. North elevation is a similar
3-window range with C19 lean-to of school house attached to left. East elevation
of chapel was the school room. Central, 2-light, stone mullion window to ground
floor. Tall, 2-light, window to first floor has arch-head lights and a 2-centred
arch head, with cusping. Both windows have leaded diamond panes, some with
original glass. C20 plank door to left has blank arch head. 2-stage clasping
buttresses at corners. Chamfered plinth. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers with
finial blocks at mid points of parapets. Finial cross at apex. School house,
attached to right, has lean-to roof. C19 casement window under wood lintel, at
ground floor, and single-light arch-head window above, with stone surround.
Lateral ashlar stack with moulded cornice. Single-storey building, attached at
right angles, is similar, with a lean-to roof. South elevation of school house
has central 4-panel door, with glazed toplights, under wood lintel. Arch-head
window above, with stone surround. Interior of chapel: plain barrel vault
plaster ceiling with 3 exposed tie beams. Panelled reredos to north wall has
reeded pilasters supporting a triangular pediment. Centre fielded panel has
painted inscription by Mrs. Elizabeth Creed, with the Ten Commandments.
Flanking, 2-panelled, doors have oval panels above. Some windows have fragments
of original glass. 2 wooden panels with painted inscriptions on west wall
describing the charitable works of the Creed family. Small hatchments above each
panel. Oval portrait of Miss Jemima Creed on west wall. Interior of school
rood/house not inspected, but ground floor room of house noted as having arch
head corner cupboard with panelled doors. A chapel is recorded in 1189 of which
no traces remain. John and Elizabeth Creed and their children, Richard, Jemima
and John were responsible for the provision of the present chapel and school.
The school room was originally at the east end of the chapel with the school
house above: this was extended mid C19.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire p94; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural
Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p16)

Listing NGR: TL0551488337

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.