History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

K6 Telephone Kiosk

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashton, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4824 / 52°28'56"N

Longitude: -0.4469 / 0°26'48"W

OS Eastings: 505566

OS Northings: 288302

OS Grid: TL055883

Mapcode National: GBR FXY.7V2

Mapcode Global: VHFNJ.6VLT

Plus Code: 9C4XFHJ3+X6

Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk

Listing Date: 15 July 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 507379

Location: Ashton, North Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Ashton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Oundlew Ashton

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Oundle

Description

1743/0/10064
15-JUL-10

ASHTON
ASHTON GREEN
K6 Telephone Kiosk

GV
II

K6 telephone kiosk.

DESCRIPTION:The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. This kiosk is in a generally fair state of repair and retains all its glass panes.

The kiosk is located on the north side of the Green at the entrance to Ashton Village. There are at least ten listed buildings surrounding the village green, seven of which have a direct visual relationship with the kiosk.

HISTORY:The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with a new kiosk type. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
The K6 telephone kiosk on the village green at Ashton, Northamptonshire is designated at Grade II for the following principal reason.
* It has a strong visual relationship with seven other nearby listed buildings.

Reasons for Listing

The K6 telephone kiosk in Ashton village is designated at Grade II for the following principal reason:

* It has a strong visual relationship with seven other nearby listed buildings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.