History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables Approximately 15 Metres North East of Sandford Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Prees, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.904 / 52°54'14"N

Longitude: -2.6238 / 2°37'25"W

OS Eastings: 358139

OS Northings: 334241

OS Grid: SJ581342

Mapcode National: GBR 7N.P560

Mapcode Global: WH9C1.N8SL

Entry Name: Stables Approximately 15 Metres North East of Sandford Hall

Listing Date: 16 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372064

English Heritage Legacy ID: 361568

Location: Prees, Shropshire, SY13

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Prees

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Fauls Holy Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Tilstock

Listing Text

PREES C.P. SANDFORD
SJ 53 SE
7/95 Stables approx.
- 15m north-east
of Sandford Hall
GV II
Stables. Early and late C18, partly rebuilt 1860 for Thomas Sandford
with later additions and alterations. Red brick (early C18 to rear
of north range); hipped plain tile roofs. 2 ranges forming L-plan
around courtyard to north-east of Sandford Hall (q.v.); east range
late C18 and north range mostly rebuilt after fire in 1860's (datestone).
2 levels with toothed eaves cornices, including to pedimented centre
gable of north range. North range: slightly projecting centre gable
has round-headed outer arch with similar narrower round-headed inner
arch and 4-panel door; 3 recessed round-headed windows above, centre
blind and with datestone recording rebuilding of stables and Sandford
family coat-of-arms; clock above and tall gabled bellcote, complete
with bell. Flanking wings have large round-headed doorways with stable
doors to centre and round-headed windows to either side. Stepped external
end stack (lower parts early C18) to rear of gable. East range has
2 elliptical vehicle arches with double doors and 3 glazing bar sashes
directly below eaves, centre blind. Included for group value.


Listing NGR: SJ5813934241

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.